German city introduces sidewalk traffic lights for those pedestrians addicted to their smartphones

midian182

Staff member

Even though texting while walking is less dangerous than using a mobile when driving, pedestrians are still a risk to themselves and others if they’re distracted by their smartphones. In New Jersey, a recent bill could see this activity banned, but in Germany, one city is taking a different approach to the problem.

Instead of turning it into a punishable offense, officials in Augsburg are making the city’s streets a safer place for those pedestrians engrossed in their smartphones by installing traffic lights in the sidewalks to warn them of oncoming trams.

While momentarily looking up from a mobile device may not seem like too difficult a task for most people, the number of walkers using their handsets at busy roads is increasing. As noted by The Washington Post, new research show that 20 percent of pedestrians in Europe are distracted by their smartphones when walking. The problem is even higher in the US, where 33 percent of people admit to it.

The lights, which have been operating since last week, mean that smartphone addicts can now see the road warnings while using their devices. “It creates a whole new level of attention,” said city spokeswoman Stephanie Lermen.

The idea to install the lights in the ground came after a series of incidents involving people being hit by trams while looking at their phones. Two pedestrians escaped with minor injuries, but one 15-year-old girl who was wearing headphones was killed by a tram while checking her device as she crossed the tracks.

Not everyone thinks the lights are a very good idea. "Until now, I didn't even notice them," one pedestrian told a local paper.

Permalink to story.

Humanity, is suppose to EVOLVE over time. Perhaps we have peaked, and are starting on the
downhill road?

The next thing should be something like a treadmill when the light is green. Maybe even with lane selector that gets you in the direction you want.

New Jersey has the better solution, **** did I really just say that? Ideally nothing should be done and we should just let these morons take them selves out, honestly it sucks for those driving the vehicle involved in vehicular manslaughter due to the traumatic nature of killing someone, but really these people shouldn't feel bad about it. I'd feel worse running over a squirrel or a cat than someone too damn stupid to pay attention to their surroundings. The double whammy is when they also have their headphones on drowning out the sounds of the world as they also choose to not look at it. To all those who do this and admit to it, 33% in the States really?, look out, people will start aiming for your dumb asses.

New Jersey has the better solution, **** did I really just say that? Ideally nothing should be done and we should just let these morons take them selves out, honestly it sucks for those driving the vehicle involved in vehicular manslaughter due to the traumatic nature of killing someone, but really these people shouldn't feel bad about it. I'd feel worse running over a squirrel or a cat than someone too damn stupid to pay attention to their surroundings. The double whammy is when they also have their headphones on drowning out the sounds of the world as they also choose to not look at it. To all those who do this and admit to it, 33% in the States really?, look out, people will start aiming for your dumb asses.

We are over populated anyway!!!

So, I live in Germany and I think this is just ridiculous! If people are so stupid to not pay any attention where they are walking then they shall earn a Darwin Award! The city spending money on crap like this is crazy... Perhaps I am to old...

Lights on the ground are all well and good until it snows.

Why waste money on stupid pedestrians? Let them get hit, maybe it will teach them to respect their lives more than their latest FB updates. If you install lights, you then have to deal with them suing the city whenever they get hit (or almost hit) that the lights weren't big enough or red enough or visible in the rain or ...

I agree on it being a setup for a lawsuit. "Lights were out and he hit my stupid kid who can't look up"... Bogus all around but the lawsuit will happen.

Back