Get a Surface Pro for $499 through Saturday at Best Buy

Shawn Knight

Staff member

If you’ve been on the fence about purchasing one of Microsoft’s Surface tablets, now might be the time to pull the trigger. That’s because Best Buy has slashed $400 off the price of the original Surface Pro but the deal only lasts through Saturday.

Launched less than a year ago, the first generation Surface Pro {pf id:86859 size:small} is still a solid machine – especially at this price point. It comes equipped with a 10.6-inch, 10-point capacitive multi-touch LCD operating at a resolution of 1,920 x 1,080, a dual-core Intel Core i5-3317U Ivy Bridge processor clocked at 1.7GHz, 4GB of RAM and 128GB of flash storage.

Other noteworthy features include Bluetooth 4.0, a microSDXC card slot and 802.11 a/b/g/n wireless. The slate measures 13.5mm thick (0.53 inches) and weighs two pounds.

It would seem that Best Buy is looking to clear out old inventory to make way for the new Surface Pro 2 {pf id:95013 size:small} which hit store shelves late last year. Aside from being a bit lighter and having a faster / more efficient processor and an adjustable kickstand, the two systems really aren’t very different at all… except in terms of price. A Surface Pro 2 with 128GB of storage will currently set you back $999.

The offer, which brings the total cost of ownership down to just $499.99, is good at Best Buy retail locations and online. It’s the cheapest price we’ve seen yet for the Surface Pro, a fact that could very well hold true for the foreseeable future.

Permalink to story.

HA! I wouldn't buy this Microsoft pos even if you Payed me to buy it!!
Ummm, ok, you can have one of the half as powerful tablets at this price point instead.

This is what the 128 gb version should have cost to begin with.
Problem is that the hardware is much higher than most other tablets at this price point. It should have started a bit cheaper than it was, but the amount of power its backing in its system is well beyond anything else in this category. Im not defending it as being the best value or anything (Even though I own one), but the hardware inside justifies a majority of the price at least.

At this price, its not a bad deal since its the 128gb version.

Last edited:

I'd have to agree. When I could buy a full Windows 8 laptop with discrete graphics, more memory, and much more storage space for $500, the appeal of the Pro units faded fast. Paying almost double just for novelty factor and to have a touch screen and much smaller SSD didn't really sit well with me, financially.

Which is too bad, because I really do like the experience on the Surface products. They managed to make me actually like Windows 8 (but only on pads).

Ummm, ok, you can have one of the half as powerful tablets at this price point instead.

Problem is that the hardware is much higher than most other tablets at this price point. It should have started a bit cheaper than it was, but the amount of power its backing in its system is well beyond anything else in this category. Im not defending it as being the best value or anything (Even though I own one), but the hardware inside justifies a majority of the hardware.

At this price, its not a bad deal since its the 128gb version.

I've always been of the mindset, that if an item goes on sale for what seems to be an excellent deal, consumers have been getting hosed on prices by the manufacturer and stores. That's why they say that Black Friday "deals" aren't really deals at all. Consumers have been brainwashed to think high prices on most items are normal. This, of course, doesn't apply to all items, as some manufacturers actually take a loss on their hardware to begin with in hopes of raping customers on the prices of accessories (e.g.: gaming consoles (loss) and video games (500-1000% profit)).

The Microsoft Surface is the best tablet available. We owned 2 3rd Gen iPads and sold them both after buying a Microsoft Surface.

Battery life alone is having me wait until the Surface Pro 2 goes "on sale", though the Dell XPS 12 convertible is really attractive, especially for the $750-$850 price (after taxes) that some Brick and mortar stores have it with almost equivalent specs as the 128GB Surface Pro 2 (which is almost $1200 with the type cover and taxes.

I've always been of the mindset, that if an item goes on sale for what seems to be an excellent deal, consumers have been getting hosed on prices by the manufacturer and stores. That's why they say that Black Friday "deals" aren't really deals at all. Consumers have been brainwashed to think high prices on most items are normal. This, of course, doesn't apply to all items, as some manufacturers actually take a loss on their hardware to begin with in hopes of raping customers on the prices of accessories (e.g.: gaming consoles (loss) and video games (500-1000% profit)).
Yea everything has such a high price hike in this day and age to the point of absurdity. One reason building a PC is a better option than buying one. I think in the mobile market price hikes have caused such a diversity of hardware to the point where we are stuck with devices that are either cheap junk, or overpriced decent hardware. The Surface Pro in my book may be a bit pricey, but compared to something like this which has very similar specs to the Surface Pro makes the price not look nearly as bad.

I personally would think that the price pint of 600 for the 64gb and 700 for the 128gb would be much more reasonable as a launch price if we were saying what I think the internals would cost while still maintaining a profit margin. But that's just my opinion, I think the Surface Pro is actually a good device and I love to use mine.

I'd have to agree. When I could buy a full Windows 8 laptop with discrete graphics, more memory, and much more storage space for $500, the appeal of the Pro units faded fast. Paying almost double just for novelty factor and to have a touch screen and much smaller SSD didn't really sit well with me, financially.

Which is too bad, because I really do like the experience on the Surface products. They managed to make me actually like Windows 8 (but only on pads).

Well, you pay for the small size and you pay for the touchscreen. If you compare the Surface to a regular 3 pound laptop with a 1280x800 resolution screen you'll be disappointed. If you compare it to an ultrabook with a 1920x1080 resolution touchscreen (which is what the surface has), it'll seem like a good deal.

I've always been of the mindset, that if an item goes on sale for what seems to be an excellent deal, consumers have been getting hosed on prices by the manufacturer and stores. That's why they say that Black Friday "deals" aren't really deals at all. Consumers have been brainwashed to think high prices on most items are normal.

Sometime's that's true. Like at Kohls (if you have a kohls near you) their stuff is always on sale. They use that mentality of marking up and putting on sale to make you feel like you get a deal. But for the big deals, like this Surface, there's usually something else going on. I think the author is right, it's to clear inventory. But on Black Friday, it's to get you in the store. For example, 50% off 1 item doesn't mean that item is marked up, it just means the store is willing to take a loss on that one thing to get you in where you'll probably buy a few more things.

Nope not buying that good thing with my tablet has 320GB SATAII 2.5 in there. 32GB max MicroSDHC slot. 2GB of DDR3 memory it has extra slot but limited to 2GB. Still Microsoft Store app tells me unable to connect to the server. I was looking for Instagram metro app. Found a bunch of fake ones but today they have beta one appear. Free. Youtube metro app seems hidden. How they're managing that feature really poor.

Tablet for Windows should be the same price structure as Android, but they're not. People buy the cheaper android tablets because they don't want to spend a lot. Windows RT was suppose to take care of that but look at mess. So now Surface pro gets lowered and everyone here has some say like yah or nah.

Funny back at the start of MS DOS prices wasn't so bad for the software today prices are sky high, CEO and the rest making huge salaries more than average joe can make. No wonder why Microsoft started late in the tablet game and let the Linux crowd now come Google Android OS and Google Chrome OS.

Youtube metro app seems hidden. How they're managing that feature really poor.

It seems gone from the store. I have it on my logon on my wife's Surface Pro 2 as I've had Win 8 on my laptop for ages and it shares the apps and backgrounds etc. between Win 8 machines, but can't find it in the store to install it on hers. Think there was some sort of dispute between MS and Google and it got pulled.

Wow you might have wanted to look into this before posting a article the Surface's pros have been around $599 to $699 since the launch of the Pro2. Honestly Its still a great deal, your not gonna find a I5 laptop with a 1920 x 1080 display with touch screen (wit pen input) and a 128gb SSD for $500. Heck its hard to find something that can match the new surface 2 at even $700. My only complaint with gen 1 was heat the surface pro gets hot, too hot imo for the basic work I was doing on it.

Wait a couple of years 'til SSD prices come down.You'll be abe to win one here:

unitedskillcrane_322_detail.jpg

Back