Get bluescreen after prompted to restart system

sassyt76

Hello all, I'm hoping someone could tell me what is that I need to do. Well after I download an update to some some of my programs it asks to restart my computer so I click on restart. When ever I click on restart it goes to a blue screen that says shutting down but that's as far as it goes. It won't restart unless I press and hold the power button until it turns off completely. What could be making it not restart without me shutting it all the way off?

OK, lets start to figure this out. First I need to know what version of Windows you are running and if you have the OS disc. It might also help to know what the make and model is of the PC and is it a laptop or desktop. Have you any external devices connected (excluding a printer)

I am running XP and no I do not have the OS disc. I am using an HP Pavilion 552w desktop. I only have a printer and speakers.

Check the settings suggested in this guide. Also tell me, did this problem suddenly start to happen or have you just done a clean install?

Chances are that when XP installed, it failed to install ACPI support
because it was disabled in the BIOS, or your BIOS has an incompatibility
problem with regards to ACPI support. You can try enabling Legacy APM
support in XP by going to the control panel, clicking on the power options,
and see if you have an APM tab. If you do, enable the legacy APM support on
that tab. That may enable proper shutdown.

If this guide produces no change the we need to look at the services, there will be one that is not allowing the PC to shut down.

Is there any possibility that you can borrow a copy of XP, it must be the same version of XP that is installed on your PC and be at the same service pack level or higher.

What exactly is the ACPI support all I see UPS under the Power options and advanced and hibernate tabs? Should I choose one of those?

ACPI stands for Advanced Configuration & Power Interface, for more information google it.

Try this guide and see how you get on, as it states if you do not have ACPI listed under Computer in Device Manager the only solution is a Repair installation for which you will need an XP disc.

http://carpc.kyferez.com/Products/HowTo/ACPICompliant.php

If ACPI is listed under Computer then continue the guide to check the Power Option settings.

Please also answer my first question in post 8, I know from your first post that this problem started after downloading some updates but had you also just done a clean install?

Thanks for all of your help. We have fixed it. I went to control panel, power options and under power schemes I changed the system standby timing. Thanks again so much!

Back