TechSpot

Get "Remote Modem Not Compatible" when faxing on VOIP

By Debbie23
Mar 27, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trying to fax over VOIP w/ a USR 5670 PCI fax modem in Vista x64.. USR says it's compatible.

Tried a couple of fax numbers several times ea - one here in town, one an 866 #. Every time it dials OK, says it's connecting (can hear the hand shaking), a few seconds of silence, then displays the message, "Remote modem Not Compatible." So it never has connected to any remote modem - not a matter of dropping connection.

Should mention Vista immediately installed it's own drivers for the modem & I've not updated w/ drivers from USR. Not sure, but doubt that's the problem.

Made (most) changes in Future-Nine's FAQ on faxing over VOIP. Using Line 2 on Linksys PAP2-T. The modem will dial out (using USR's Phone Tools fax prgm - for Vista x64).

Thanks.

The modem Diagnostic / Query thru Device Mgr all showed OK - no problems as far as Windows & the modem communicating.

Two settings in Future-Nine's faxing FAQ I'm not sure about / couldn't find:

#4 Disable ECM on your fax. Does this refer to a PAP2-T setting? If so, don't see it.
    In modem settings, under Device Mgr, there's a setting for "Data Connection Preferences > Data Protocol" for Standard or Forced EC. Not sure if this is what #4 refers to.

Changing Data Protocol to "Disabled" didn't make a difference.
    Putting a DSL phone filter between the ATA & modem didn't matter either.

Other setting in the FAQ I couldn't find is #12 "Set FXS Port Input Gain & FXS Port Output Gain to -3."

Only setting for FXS I see is at bottom of the Line 2 GUI for Caller / Callee Connection Polarity. Choices are Forward or Reverse. Changing those didn't make a difference - put back to default "Forward."

I assume all settings for Line 2 (for fax) should be same as Line 1, EXCEPT those mentioned in the faxing FAQ?

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,866   +165

I imagine that you may have to use one of the Internet Faxing services

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.