Get the R9 290X when it comes out or wait for 790?

wastedkill

What do you guys think I should do get the R9 290X when it comes out or wait for the 790 to get released? Money isn't exactly a issue here but from what I have seen from a comparison site for graphics cards it could be that the 790 is almost double what the R9 290X is but then again it could be complete lies.

Anyone got any info on what kind of specs the 790 will be? The R9 290X seems it would be cheaper but I just cant tell if the R9 290X is pretty much a 7990 thanks to the naming schemes.

http://www.game-debate.com/gpu/index.php?gid=1858&gid2=878&compare=radeon-r9-290x-vs-geforce-gtx-790 Thats the site I saw online when doing searches for 790 vs R9 290X as I wanted to see if anyone had any discussions about them both but couldn't find much.

What do you guys think I should do get the R9 290X when it comes out or wait for the 790 to get released? Money isn't exactly a issue here but from what I have seen from a comparison site for graphics cards it could be that the 790 is almost double what the R9 290X is but then again it could be complete lies.

Anyone got any info on what kind of specs the 790 will be? The R9 290X seems it would be cheaper but I just cant tell if the R9 290X is pretty much a 7990 thanks to the naming schemes.

http://www.game-debate.com/gpu/index.php?gid=1858&gid2=878&compare=radeon-r9-290x-vs-geforce-gtx-790 Thats the site I saw online when doing searches for 790 vs R9 290X as I wanted to see if anyone had any discussions about them both but couldn't find much.

If money isnt an issue I would personally recommend waiting for the 790 :)

As for myself money is an issue so I will aim for an R9 290 ! ^^

If money isnt an issue I would personally recommend waiting for the 790 :)

As for myself money is an issue so I will aim for an R9 290 ! ^^

Well to be honest I am rooting for the R9 290X but if the 790 beats it by around 10-20% I will get that but if its like 40-50% increase in price versus R9 290X I am gonna get the R9 290X xD I have the money but if the performance doesn't match the price then I am not gonna get ripped off!

As far as I know, R9 290X is a single GPU card aimed to compete with titan and 780, while 790 is a dual GPU card (after read the link you provide).. so, I guess it's possible that 790 surpass R9 290X.. :)

As far as I know, R9 290X is a single GPU card aimed to compete with titan and 780, while 790 is a dual GPU card (after read the link you provide).. so, I guess it's possible that 790 surpass R9 290X.. :)

I just don't see why AMD don't do a dual gpu card I would definately plant my wallet into that thing if it beats nvidia's dual gpu card at the same price point.

The r90x based off what we know is going to be the most powerful single gpu based of course off specs and what we have seen in leaked benches. However once it's released, we will have confirmation one way or the other.

The 790 is from what I heard going to be dual 780 gpus meaning it will definitely out perform the r90x and will probably be the fastest single card out there. No confirmation on a dual gpu Hawaii or 290x card, but it's a safe bet there will be one later on.

That site is just speculating on the 790 since not much real information exists on it at the moment.

I would say wait for the actual release then make a decision or until some full benches come out. Either way it's going to be awhile for the 790 to come out and the r290x is just around the corner.

Personally, I'm waiting for some dual gpu 290x's or if it does not come ill probably grab the 790s because I prefer dual gpu cards.

That's my suggestion to you is to just wait for the benchmarks to surface an then if it's as good as we're hearing, grab the 290x.

Am I right in understanding that dual gpu cards are the same as SLI cards? as in the same issues that accompany sli gaming are the same for dual gpu cards?

Yes, a dual gpu card whether it's amd or nvidia will rely still on cfx or sli and will result from the same possible issues. However, honestly I've had both and they both work equally well in all mainstream games. The few games (besides a few biased titles) that don't work well in it do just fine using a single gpu so no matter what you go you should be fine.

It's only when going into the lower areas of sli/cfx that you receive some grevences in those areas.

Get the R9 290X. Dual GPU cards bring a lot of issues, so if you dont want to deal with them, stay single GPU.

As for me, personally I prefer 2 powerful card (like two R9 290X card or two 780) then put it in CF or SLI rather than a dual-gpu card.. but, that's my opinion :D

I mean, even looking at that road map, we still have something in between even that (Maxwell) so I feel like waiting for that would be a good long wait.

The GPU architecture after Nvidia's Maxwell. Likely due in 2016. Stacked GDDR6 on the GPU package. Shorter electrical trace length and higher DRAM density will decrease latency and give a substantial increase in internal bandwidth.
Volta would likely coincide with TSMC's CLN10FF ( 10nm FinFET) process.

Thanks for the info. It sounds interesting but I'm more concerned with the fact that I didn't know about this. I must be slippin' :eek: .

Back