Get the VoCore Mini Linux Computer for just $39

TS Dealmaster

Staff member

Say what you will about our current micro computing craze, you can’t deny it’s kicked the DIY computing movement to another level. Tinkerers have access to a wave of powerful open-source, low-cost micro-boards that, with a little hardware/programming knowledge coupled with some ingenuity, can be used to do some amazing things -- at prices just as microscopic as the components.

Case in point: the VoCore mini Linux computer - now available for just $39 in the TechSpot Store - is a quarter-sized, wifi-enabled computer renowned for its versatility and low power needs.

Measuring less than one square inch (25mm x 25mm), the VoCore still packs a wallop, sporting a 32MB SDRAM, 8MB SPI flash memory and an RT5350 (360MHz) engine at its core. But with its included dock, you’re also ready to roll out 10/100M Ethernet, which can essentially turn the VoCore into, among other things, a nifty, super-portable VPN router.

But why stop there? The VoCore has plenty of tricks up its tiny sleeve, including the ability to make a printer, scanner or hard drive wireless, control a wireless speaker system or run a variety of mini-robotics projects.

With the dock’s Ethernet and USB ports working out of the box, the VoCore’s uses are only limited by your imagination. Get inventive and pick one up for only $39 right now.

Permalink to story.

32MB SDRAM - that's memory size fit for a controller, by today's standards, not a computer. Next to Raspberri Pi it is incredibly pathetic, so why pay the same money?

Well, it is cute... and very small .... and think of the bragging rights - not everyone will have a quarter-sized PC (the coin not the ratio).

Just think how many of them one can fit in the drawer that contains stuff ya shouldn't have bought but just can't get rid of

WIFI.

Another reason : The whole purpose of the Raspberry Pi is to tinker with it. For a similar price to the Pi you can get a MUCH more powerful motherboard, so why use the Pi? For the same reason - tinkering. I want to use it to make a wireless network printer. I suspect it will be useful for driving the surveillance camera on my front porch too. I just have to work out the kinks. WIFI really extends its capabilities.

Back