Get to root dos prompt in WinXP

Status
Not open for further replies.
In WinXP when I need to get to the dos prompt. I click on program files then accessories then command prompt. However it defaults to c:\documents and settings\name. How can I get it to go directly to root prompt C:\. This is probably an easy solution but any help would be appreciated.

I doubt u can set it to go to C:\ on startup but for an easy way to do it after u've brought up the Command Prompt, type cd\. Remember it's a backslash, not a frontslash. It will take u directly to C:\.

You can modify the the shortcut in accessories to start up somewhere else. See the properties, "start in" box.

when you get to the c:\documents.......whatever,
type this command and enter until you get to just c:\
cd .. (that's cd followed by two dots)
it will get you to the root

select start/programs/accessories/command prompt and create a shortcut on your desktop
right click on the shortcut that you created on yoru desktop and select properties
on the "start in" box, type c:
this will always get you to the c: root

Like most things Windows, there's a registry hack.

• Start > Run > regedit.exe
  • Browse to HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Microsoft > Command Processor
  • Create a new String Value named 'Autorun'. Change the data in this value to cd \

The 'Autorun' value contains a command that is run at cmd.exe startup. cd \ just gets you back to C:\, but you can change that path to whatever you'd like. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back