Getting a new computer, would love some help

TimBaum

I've been thinking about getting a new computer, but I have a few things I need to figure out.
Mostly things like what CPU or how much RAM to get.

I use my computer daily for watching movies and surfing the web, as well as some Gaming. Gaming be a primary reason why I'm upgrading since a lot of newer games can't run on my current Desktop.

With this in mind I'm wondering if the current set up would suffice for a decent Everyday computer with Gaming tendencies.
Processor- AMD Athlon(TM) II 250 dual-core processor [3.0GHz, 2MB L2, up to 4000MHz bus]
Memory- 4GB DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM [2 DIMMs]
Hard drive- 500GB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive
Graphics card- 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 315 [DVI, HDMI, VGA adapter]

I'm buying a new PC through HP(All of my past computers have been HPs and I've loved them, plus my work gives me a pretty decent discount on desktops)
A few things can be still be upgraded, but for the $541 I'd be dishing out, this looks like it should be a pretty decent set-up.

If you have any questions on what can be further upgraded, and to what, lemme know and I'll do my best to ask.
Thanks for all the help.

HP probably has that number rebranded to them specifically. Likely the graphics are those that red specified. These are integrated graphics, I'm guessing?

The integrated graphics are actually ATI Radeon HD 4200 [VGA]
then a upgrade to 512MB ATI Radeon HD 5450 [DVI, HDMI, VGA adapter]
followed by the one i upgraded to.
I can upgrade it one more time if I want for $40 to a 1GB ATI Radeon HD 5450 [DVI, HDMI, VGA adapter]

With this in mind I'm wondering if the current set up would suffice for a decent Everyday computer with Gaming tendencies.
Yeah that looks integrated, so the answer, sadly, is more of a no.

Well, it still seems like an HP specific part number. This is often done to restrict price comparison shopping.

The 5450 is still a rather low end VGA. This I'm concluding from the fact that it is only 64 bit access. Well that, and the average price of about 60 bucks.

Probably, you'd be better off not upgrading through HP, but installing your own card after purchase. The ppossible conflict here could be warranty issues, (I'm not familiar with HP's regs), and possibly an insufficient PSU

That being said, it should still run a Hi-def TV, given the HDMI connection. But, heavy duty gaming would still be pretty much off the table.

The G315 is one of the OEM "requested" rebrands. Pic here . If you think this discrete graphics card looks underwhelming then I can assure you that the specs live up to the lack of hype.

From any online review of the card...

The GeForce 315 is an OEM-only rebranded version of the GeForce GT220.

IMHO, get a better video card. If HP don't have something like an HD 5670 or a 9800GT listed, get the desktop without a video card or get it with the cheapest video card you can, then buy one of the aforementioned cards separately and install it yourself.

Which specific HP model is this, BTW?

Thanks for the help.
Seeing as the discussion was mainly focused on the graphics card, I feel pretty good about everything else.

I'll keep in mind everything that was said about the card, and I'll really look for something better.
Again, thank you.

1GB ATI Radeon HD 5450
As listed above a few posts.
The HD 5450 is about as weak as they come, you will not be able to play anything other than solitaire with it. the extra 512MB of memory on the 512 version is worthless as...pick your own favorite saying... start at the 5670 and up as Moiz stated.

The HD 5450 is about as weak as they come, you will not be able to play anything other than solitaire with it. the extra 512MB of memory on the 512 version is worthless as...pick your own favorite saying... start at the 5670 and up as Moiz stated.

Is it really that poor?

It can't be worse than my HD4670 surely... Even that can play Crysis at medium settings adequately, so surely this card would be capable of such feats too?

Is it really that poor?

It can't be worse than my HD4670 surely... Even that can play Crysis at medium settings adequately, so surely this card would be capable of such feats too?

oh it is that bad for gaming leeky.
as an example your 4670 has 320 SPU's the 5450 has 80. its not meant for gaming and would only play crysis on medium at about 3-5 FPS. I played with one a while back and its very weak as far as gaming goes, Its a blue Ray card.

Back