Getting an SSD for my laptop and maybe some more ram

Odiegooddog

Hi everyone, I have a laptop with the following specs:

Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. N71Jq (Socket 989)
Power supply (including wattage): no idea
CPU (processor):
Intel Core i7 @ 1.60GHz
45nm Technology

RAM: 4 GB
Graphics card: ATI Mobility RADEON HD 5730 1 GB
Sound card (if any): ATI High Definition Audio Device

I have it for almost 6 years and it is becoming really slow so instead of getting a new one I chose to upgrade it a bit if I can. I was advised to get an SSD disk and install windows on it, while also keeping the older hard drive inside the laptop for additional memory. Is this possible for my laptop? And does anyone know the dimensions it should have or have any suggestions for quality/price ones?
I was also advised to get more RAM. So, same thing, does anyone know if I can do that with this motherboard? And know how much it could cost? Need some info please!! Thanks!!

The SSD upgrade is a good one. Start with that and see how it goes. I'm doubtful you can leave the old hard drive inside the laptop unless you ditch any DVD drive and install it in an adapter to fit in the same space. You could put it in an external USB enclosure though. SSDs are still quite expensive so I'd pass on the top of the range versions like the Samsung 850's. Just read some reviews and make an informed decision.

The SSD upgrade is a good one. Start with that and see how it goes. I'm doubtful you can leave the old hard drive inside the laptop unless you ditch any DVD drive and install it in an adapter to fit in the same space. You could put it in an external USB enclosure though. SSDs are still quite expensive so I'd pass on the top of the range versions like the Samsung 850's. Just read some reviews and make an informed decision.
Apparently my laptop had 2 320gb hard drives and im replacing one of them with a 240gb ssd since loosing 80 gb doesn't seem a big of a deal anyway. We'll see how it goes, thanks.

Back