Getting BSOD IRQL_not_less_or_equal

Hi,

Code:
[B]FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:[/B]  X64_0xA_[B]vfilter[/B]+29a6

vfilter.sys blamed as the cause - this appears to be part of a VPN client?

Make sure the VPN client is updated. However I believe McAfee is the real cause here, it appears on the stack trace and it has a long history of causing BSODs.

So, uninstall McAfee
Remove McAfee using the McAfee Removal Tool (MRT) -

MRT --> [noparse]download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe[/noparse]

Download the MRT & save to desktop. Boot into SAFEMODE (NO Networking) - tap F8 key during boot-up. Then go to desktop, RIGHT-click on the MRT icon and select Run as Administrator.

When complete - re-boot.

Install MS Security Essentials --> [noparse]microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/[/noparse]

Then reset the Windows Firewall to its default settings -
START -> type cmd.exe -> right-click -> run as administrator -> type netsh advfirewall reset press enter

Regards

I had the BSOD IRQL error for about 2 years before I finally fixed it. This solution has worked on a few computers that I have worked on with such a problem, but I am not certain it can fix all IRQL problems. I was told IRQL error is generally caused by a conflict with different cards within a computer, and so removing/replacing can sometimes fix. This did not for me, so I went into BIOS, disabled everything that could be (such as my on board network adapter/USB ports....and so on) then booted system back up, shut it all back down again, turned all settings back on one at a time, and error has never shown up again. Just for reference, my computer was saying it was CDROM.sys causing the problem, and I had not had a CDROM drive in that computer in over 5 years before issue started.

Not sure it will fix anything, but it is something rather quick you could try.

Thank you for your reply! So far i've updated my vpn client software and removed McAfee from my system. I haven't received any BSOD's since, hopefully this is the cure.

If i receive another BSOD i will try your suggestion, thanks for the help!

Please let us know in a week if you haven't had any more BSODs so we can consider this one solved.

Back