Getting E:\ is not accessible. Incorrect function message on an external burner

By sotojesse
Aug 17, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I am getting "E:\ is not Accessible. Incorrect Function" message when i try to burn a CD or DVD on an external DVD\RW that works on other PC's. Last week I tried a drag and drop in windows explorer that failed. since then my internal and external drives won't burn. they don't even show up in my Roxio as burn devices. I did not have any problems prior to the drag and drop failure. I have since uninstalled all of the burning softwares that were on my pc. I know it is not a hardware problem as I am able to burn to the external on other pc's. any ideas??? please help.
  2. wcely

wcely Newcomer, in training

This may work

I had the same problem and recently cured it by going to the Drive letter in Windows Explorer and right clicking on it. Go to Properties; Click on Recording; Check "Enable CD recording on this drive". If it wasn't clicked before this will probably do it.
  3. awnold

awnold Newcomer, in training

wcely you the man! thanks for taking the time and posting this, saved me.
    -Thanks again
  4. d4n137s0n

d4n137s0n Newcomer, in training

yeah im getting the same thing. gee wonder why. did u solve this problem yet?
  5. d4n137s0n

d4n137s0n Newcomer, in training

yes it worked.. thanks a bunch

yes it worked.. thanks a bunch
  6. TRAVEL MGR

TRAVEL MGR Newcomer, in training

E:\ is not accessible. Incorrect function.

Got my answer from prior folks with same/similar problem. My recording finished and ejected as I was logging in. Newbie in training, thanks everyone.
  7. khoneycutt

khoneycutt Newcomer, in training

I am having this same problem but when I go to properties on the drive I do not have the record option. I can read and play from the CD or DVD but cannot write to it. I had Nero on but uninstalled to make sure that was not the problem. Does anyone have any ideas.

Thank you
  8. HPCE_Larry

HPCE_Larry Newcomer, in training Posts: 189

You probably don't have a cd burner.
  9. Cynergy Diva

Cynergy Diva Newcomer, in training

I only joined this forum because you saved me too. My E drive is working now thanks to you

xoxo
    Cyne
  10. gorjan

gorjan Newcomer, in training

can you explain this a little more please?
    i can't find the propertis you are talking about... :S
  11. karina

karina Newcomer, in training

Drive letter in Windows Explorer right click Properities Recording, Enable CD recording on this drive
    can not find my Drive letter in Windows Explorer...i have unistall & reinstalled the driver for the cd rom/dvd...rebooted..tested...clean booted...then put back to normal settings...nothing works...
    i would like to try Enabling the CD recording on this drive...but i can't find it...HELP...i need simple step by step instructions b/c i am pretty much computer illierate but i can follow instructions as long as they are simple & specific...
    thank you...
    karina

Hi all,
    If someone can help me it would be greatly appreciated...i am an artist & need to be able 2 copy 2 disk 2 send out copies of my work...
    Thank u...
    Peace & love,
    Karina

thank you...it worked going into windows explorer to change the setting to enable recording...however, i had to go to another website to find window explorer...that i had to right click on start...then go to explorer to find explorer...;) what can u do? i didnt grow up witrh this computer stuff:)
  12. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

Me either, they didn't even have home computers when I was young!

But replying to an old 2005 thread may not get many replies to help you.
    Best to create a New Thread I feel ;)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.