TechSpot

Getting Linux to recognize Creative SB Cards

By Robert Bailey
Apr 5, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I've tried many Linux live cd's and I have one recurring problem. I can't get any sound, because I have a Creative Sound Blaster 24 Bit sound card installed, instead of AC'97.

The only Linux cd live that I've been able to get sound on is Puppy 1.0.8.

Can anyone tell me how to get various linux distributions to recognize my Creative card?

Thanks

Robert
  2. Peddant

Peddant TS Rookie Posts: 1,644

3. Robert Bailey

Robert Bailey TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks.

Thanks. I'll give them a try, but not sure how to download into Linux. I am presently running Mandrake 10.

Robert
  4. Peddant

I`ve found something a bit more hopeful - http://www.opensound.com/download.cgi

In the card box put Creative Sound Blaster 24 Bit

In the OS box choose Linux 2.6(#86) (NO REGPARM)

There appear to be instructions there too.
  5. Robert Bailey

Thanks again, but I believe I have a sound problem with my machine that I have been up all night trying to make right.

Right now, I have NO SOUND at all from my sb card or from ac'97. I have reformatted and re-installed everything to no avail.
    I must have shorted something out on the mobo when I removed the sb card to see if ac'97 worked better.

I have tried everything, double checked wiring, speakers, and can only come up with a bad mobo.

Can the sound portion of a mobo be repaired or does it require a new mobo?

Thanks for your help

Robert
  6. Peddant

My assistant Kirock will answer that,if he sees this thread.
  7. Robert Bailey

Sound Fixed

Thanks again for your help. I finally got sound back at 2:00 today. Still don't know what happened.

All is fine for now.

Robert
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.