Getting rid of mcafee

Status
Not open for further replies.

gghartman

this is a really strange problem regarding mcafee and how it just wont let go of a system.

i sell dell systems and unfortunately they always come with mcafees 90day trial which i hate. mcafee and norton are the 2 worse apps out there. this is the way i uninstall mcafee

1) go into safe mode and do add remove
2) edit the registry of all mcafee entries
3) search the drive for all mcafee entries
3) go into the profile and get rid of mcafee in all users and the owners profile
4) run ccleaner to make sure no mcafee is there.

now this is where the weirdness happens. with absolutely no traces of mcafee or its services the windows security center still reflects mcafee protecting the firewall and antivirus.

makes no damn sense it just wont go away. i have tried everything you can imagine and still mcafee says its protecting. have checked the services and no mcafee services are running.

anyone have a clue how to get this piece of garbage off ???

Your not the only one with the problem - http://www.mcse.ms/archive60-2005-6-1669473.html

There`s a clue there,which maybe you could check out-

"I found there are some registry keys(HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\Monitoring) used by the security
center to check which firewalls and antiviruses monitor, but until now I have not been able to use them for my purpose."

nope that didnt help. done all that.

there has to be a hotkey thats not a normal mcafee name that is still causing windows to see mcafee in both the firewall and antivirus. ive looked for every thing i can find on mcafees web site and those files dont exist besides how the hell can the security center keep reflecting mcafee when even the services for mcafee are not even there. its some sort of ghost image but why.

i see you removed the post but the email that was sent me by this site. this is the image they put on the new dell systems so because its only for 90 days you dont get a mcafee install cd. this problem has been on the last 30 machines ive gotten from dell and they dont have an answer either.

McAfee uninstall

Manual Uninstall of McAfee VirusScan 5.x, 6.x, and 7.x

Summary: This document explains how to manually remove VirusScan 5.x, 6.x and 7.x off of Windows 95/98/Me/2000/XP.

Note: Log in as the Administrator (2000 and XP)
Attempt an Automatic Uninstall

1. Click on the Start button.
2. Highlight Settings then click on Control Panel. The Control Panel will then appear.
3. Double click on the Add/Remove Programs icon. The Add/Remove Programs Properties dialog box will then appear.
4. Locate McAfee VirusScan on the list of installed programs and single click on it so it is highlighted.
5. Click the Add/Remove button.
Note: If at any time you are prompted to remove shared files, answer Yes To All.

Windows will then attempt to remove McAfee VirusScan from your computer. If McAfee VirusScan is successfully uninstalled you do not need to complete the remaining steps in this document. If you receive error messages or find that McAfee VirusScan was not completely removed then follow the steps below to manually remove the program.

Download the registry cleanup file

1. Download VirusScan.zip to your desktop.
2. Unzip VirusScan.reg to your desktop.
3. Double-click the file VirusScan.reg to remove the VirusScan registry entries.
4. When prompted, proceed by clicking Yes.
5. Follow the remaining steps to ensure VirusScan is completely removed from your pc:

tedster

not quite the same on these preinstalled applications in fact the only way to uninstall mcafee is in safe mode and then in add remove it has just one variable Mcafee-uninstall only. click that and it removes the all the systems -virus, firewall, spam control and one other one and it does come back uninstall successful and when you check the services they are all gone. manually cleaning the registry of all mcafee keys should do the same as the program you mention but will download it and give a try.

just confusing why the wmi service still reflects firewall and antivirus still mcafee when nothing is on the system. going to install another product and see if the new install refreshes those values.

thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back