Getting very odd freezing

dmang

Hey. So recently I got hit by a pretty nasty virus and when I finally removed it, my computer has been acting up. I'm not completely sure it's because of the virus or not. See here for virus info: https://www.techspot.com/community/...platinum-virus-but-now-I-have-sirefef.182064/

Sometimes one window I am in will stop working, like a browser. If I click on it, it turns white and the mouse turns in to the loading sign. But I can click on another window, or if music was playing it will continue. However, after a few seconds the other window will also freeze up. Usually I try to press ctrl+alt+del during the freeze but nothing happens. Sometimes a few seconds goes by and sometimes a few minutes before I get some error message saying something like "Logon process has failed to create the security options dialog box." Then, the bar at the bottom of the screen with the windows start menu on it disappears. The only thing on my desktop is the Trash Bin. My windows are still up and start to work again, usually. Sometimes it will crash my computer and when I try to reboot, it tells me that "A disk read error has occurred. Please press ctrl alt del to restart."
It happens to me like 5 times a day and I can barely use my computer. Any help will be greatly appreciated :)

also I have win7 64-bit

a few more odd things:
there is a windows 7 update I can't install. "Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2667402)" this happened before I was infected with a virus
sometimes I just freeze for a few minutes and then it returns to normal
while playing a game, for example Skyrim, loading takes an abnormally long time. usually changing from one place to another takes 5 seconds but now it can take up to a minute.
sometimes loading web pages takes a very long time, like it would with a slow internet connection.

a few more:
I was wrong, I cant play anything on the comp. I wont lag at all, 60fps on max settings, but it will suddenly freeze then crash. freezes very often but more rare to crash.
after I ran all of the programs I was told to run in the thread I posted, I realized my txt files now all have .txt at the end. like "username" is now "username.txt" and I have a bunch of hidden files scattered around my comp called "Desktop.ini", two of which are on my desktop.

I just did a search for desktop.ini and it turns out I have over 50 of these things.. is that normal?

Back