GF4 440 Overheating

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently purchased a Visontek GF4 440 video card. Well the first thing I noticed is that this card has a heatsink but no fan. I thought "Well they must know what they are doing", but I seem to be wrong. First let me say that I play a lot of Everquest so my card gets a workout and after about 2 hours of play I get lockups. Let me also say that my case runs cool. When I built this machine my big concern was for heat so I have it running cool.

So my question is....

Has anyone else had this problem?

How can I go about fixing this?

Also, my buddy bought a GF4 440 by another company....it had a fan.

You should be able to simply put a fan on over the heatsink to provide much better heat discipation for your card. I like the crystal orbs myself, but its really a personal preference.

When I get a little more time I'll take a gander at your card and make some more suggestions. Right now though, its off to class...:(

There are alot of companies out there making kits to cool down video cards. Coolerguys.com comes to mind with the crystal orb cooler which may be your best bet. Heres the link: http://www.coolerguys.com/cpucool/video.shtml

You can also buy a case fan that will blow onto the video card. 1coolpc.com sells some really nice fans that attach to your PCI mounting points and will blow air across all your cards. Here is the link: http://1coolpc.com/video.htm

I run both. I have a fan on my cpu and I have a 120mm fan from 1coolpc cooling all my cards including my video card.

How hot does the heatsink get?; is it warm to the touch or a burner? The lock-ups might not even due to your video card. What OS do you use?

First off,

:wave::wave:Welcome to 3DSpotlight!:wave::wave:

Are you absolutely certain it's overheating? Nothing else out of the ordinary?

I would reccomend a Crystal Orb, if it was in fact overheating. Also, those system blowers from coolerguys.com are very appealing...

Visiontek is a very good company, it's just that GeForce4 MX's aren't very high quality and performance cards. They remind me of Celerons :haha:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back