GF420 MX resolution problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
For about the past month I've been having a problem with my computer's ability to change resolutions. It has been stuck on 1024x768 for quite a while now, and everytime I try to change the resolution I get an error-esque message on my moniter (note it's the moniter's error message screen not a windows error message screen) that says: "Unsupported Mode" and then gives me info which looks like the pixel refresh rate of my moniter. This happens whenever I get out of 1024x768 for any other display resolution, including the standard 800x600. Because of this, I can't even play a whole slew of video games, which makes me a bit... distressed. My guess is it is my video card, which is almost 4 years old by now, and may need replacing (though I do so hate to spend money).

I'll try to give you all my specs here, but if i leave something out that may be important please ask me.

Windows XP Pro SP2 (legit version with all updates)
Asus P4P800-E motherboard
GeForce4 MX 420, 64 mb video card w/ current driver (AGP)
Pentium 4 1.8 mhz processor
1.5 gigs of RAM
DirectX v. 9

I've checked for spyware and viruses, to no avail (I didn't think that was it anyway)

I've also tried to bring my video card drivers to previous versions, that didn't work either unfortunatly.

Any ideas are appreciated, and thanks in advance to all that give them.

Also, sense i'm thinking about replacing my vid card anyway (an upgrade and hopefully a fix for this problem) I was thinking about the GeForce 6600 DDR2 so any opinions on that would be grand as well =D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back