Gfx card that don't like mice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

uffe38

Ok, to make a long and painful story somewhat shorter I realized I needed a new graphic card to be able to play warhammer online. My old Radeon 9200 SE didnt make it.

So, as Im on a budget I invested in a Sapphire Radeon HD 3650 512 mg AGP. Not the best choice I realize now, but...anyway. The problems started for real when I tried to install it.

After lots of trial and error it seems I can boot up the computer with the new card, but only if my mouse and keyboard are unplugged.

My first thought was that it was was PSU that couldnt handle it. I did some reading and realized that the Q-tec PSU 400W I have in the comp is pretty horrible.
My plan is that tomorrow I will go and buy a 400W FSP ATX-400PNF that seems like a good PSU for a decent price that will cover my needs.

But then, when I switched back to my old graphic card - the problems where exactly the same. If I unplug the mouse and keyboard the comp boots and I get a picture. But with my mouse and keyboard pluged in only the fans of the comp start, I get no "startup beep" and the screen stays black.

My question: Do you thin I somehow damaged my old PSU when I tried to use my new card, and thats the reason it will not work with my old card. And, do you think my new PSU will sort out all the problem? Hehe.

Any input is very welcome.

Some stats of the comp I use. Intel P4 3,0. Two harddrives. 2 gigs of ram. MSI motherboard.

Does the new video card need its own power plugs? If so, do you have them plugged in?

Yes its pluged in:)
But as the error still exists when I try to boot up the comp with my old card that has no need of an extra power plug I don't think thats the problem.

Someone told me that the problem could be this: when I put in the new record the bios got reset and now its picky that the PSU is bad....what do you guys think?

Bah.
Succesfully replaced my old PSU with a nice new shiny one.
But the problems are still there, boots fine when I dont have the mouse and keyboard plugged in. Only fans starts when they are in.

Any ideas?

Sounds like PS2 kbrd/mouse and an IRQ Conflict with the Video card

I'll add to the mix - a faulty KB/mouse or mobo connection. Try USB kb/m. However, it is difficult to accept that a faulty ps2/kb/m drags down the psu without blowing it. Inspect the mobo for problems with the electrolytic capacitors. Typically look for buldge or burned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back