Ghost in the machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ididmyc600

Hi Guys and Girls,

Here's a wierd one for ya to puzzle on.

I recently had cause to ghost a machine on a network, the image is a standard image and we run a configurator program to set the software up, at install the machine name is "Select_7454", once the configurator is run this changes automatically along with the IP address and network settings to whatever the script dictates.

So on this occasion I ran the ghost as normal, but on boot up I got a "Service Manager" error, we sometimes get these so I clicked OK and carried on, however the configurator wouldn't connect, so I looked at eventviewer and found an error that said "a duplicate name exists on the network.

Now bear in mind the default name for the machine is "Select_7454" and as I said this gets changed by the configurator program, so I ran a cmd prompt and tried pinging select_7454 and I got a reply, using the IP address that was returned I was able to work out which PC I was pinging, now heres where it gets wierd.

I checked the machine associated with the IP address and it had the correct name (we use a location and address system) so in this case it was 4364113MB_01, not select_7454.

SO can anyone tell me why this machine responded to its previous machine name when pinged and when I added a machine with the same name.??

Regards

I am just guessing but maybe its the SID causing the error.

If you ghost the same image and put in on numerous systems on the same network, you can get this error because the SID is the same on all the systems.

We do the same thing at work. Once the image is completed we run NEWSID before putting the system on the network

smore9648 said:
I am just guessing but maybe its the SID causing the error.

If you ghost the same image and put in on numerous systems on the same network, you can get this error because the SID is the same on all the systems.

We do the same thing at work. Once the image is completed we run NEWSID before putting the system on the network

Hi

Thanks I didn't consider that, we also run NewSID as well, but I didn't install the machine previous so I dont know if that was done on that machine, next time i'm back there i'll throw a new SID on it and see if that changes anything.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back