Ghost on LAN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewolfe

Ghost on LAN?

I am running Win2k on one machine and Win98 on another. They are networked using M$ Home networking through a Linksys router. Don't know much about networking.

Can I Ghost over the LAN? When I start Ghost 5.1 on the Win98 machine (won't work on Win2k) I don't see anything but the local drives.

I have "ghosted" to a "slave" on the Win98 machine but since I would like to end up with the image on a CD, which I can only do from my Win2k machine, it would be easier to ghost over the network.

I highly doubt it. You'd need a Ghost or Drive Image type program that worked within Windows. Mapped network drives are initialized in Windows, not in DOS, as Ghost runs in.

You can't run Ghost and Ghost over the network, but you can run Ghost and transfer the resulting .GHO file over your network, easily.

Originally posted by Vehementi
Mapped network drives are initialized in Windows, not in DOS, as Ghost runs in.

I do wish you would stop posting half truths and assumptions as if they were facts. This is not helpful.

You most certainly can map drives in DOS. At work I have a boot disk that does it. When I get back to work after the holidays I shall find out where we got it. I forget how you make your own.

When drive images are used to install computer labs at work, my workmates map a network drive in DOS (a share which contains drive images files) and then restore the image to many machines at once over the network.

I found the following in some DOS reference files I had in my archives. I'm not sure if it will help you but I think it is similar to what Phant mentioned.

MAP NETWORK DRIVE FROM DOS:

NET USE {drive letter}: \\{computername}\{sharename}

The syntax of this command is:

NET USE
[devicename | *] [\\computername\sharename[\volume] [password | *]]
[/USER:[domainname\]username]
[/USER:[dotted domain name\]username]
[/USER:[username@dotted domain name]
[/SMARTCARD]
[/SAVECRED]
[[/DELETE] | [/PERSISTENT:{YES | NO}]]

NET USE {devicename | *} [password | *] /HOME

NET USE [/PERSISTENT:{YES | NO}]

An example for mapping \\server1\files to the G drive would be:
NET USE G: \\SERVER1\FILES

I hope this helps.

Thanks, I have a spare machine I might try that on since my dos is inadequate at best.

Someone also mentioned a bootdisk. If I get any solid info on it I"ll post.

certainly those are the commands to map the network shares as drives, but you will need to boot with some network protocols loaded or nothing will happen.

as i said i will look out a network boot disk when i get back to work.

I just found this .... It may be just what you need.

"Configurable boot disk allowing you to login to any Lan Manager / Microsoft NT network and use the network resources. Ideal for corporations who GHOST their PCs from a network server. Ideal for those who want to backup their PCs to a network drive but cannot backup open files open when the operating system is running."

In newer versions of Ghost, there is an option to create a LAN bootdisk (I don't know if 5.1 can but bear with me). From this, the disk can assign the computer it boots a specific IP (and perhaps domain logins - I can't remember) and then on another computer you can start Ghost in Windows and tell it what IP to communicate with. From this you can either restore or create a ghost image across your LAN. I have Ghost Corp Edition 7.5 sitting here and I think thats the one I used but I have done it and it worked perfectly (and VERY quickly too). It's a great way to make sure you have saved all the data from a drive when you rebuild too I have found. :grinthumb

Ghosting on a LAN can be acomplished easily using the Enterprise version of Ghost... the only problem here is the cost of that package, If you have "accuired" or can "accuire" a copy then use that and setup a multicast server and bobs your uncle you can ghost with extream ease across the network.

If not do as they all said above and make a nice network boot disk (I use barts one) map a drive and use that to store/dump your image. Be warned that you will have problems with Dynamic NTFS Drives.

Ahhh well that answers me then. Fortunately I work for a company that likes little progs like Ghost and so on :D

If you need help with the Enterprise version of Ghost to Multi/Uni cast then just post when you get it - I use it on a daily basis to cast images - sometimes 50 at a time @ 5 Gig a pop.

LNCPapa

Hi ya´ll!

I´m late on this great thread, tried some of the bootdisk methods and almost got my PQ Drive Image to work over LAN.Almost.

It´s a nice and easy program. I have used it a lot,it works... except the LAN connection is lost when it boots to DOS.

The built -in bootdisk builder is not up to task, maybe it´s me who is not up to the task,dunno really. I am no DOS expert in any sense. But when the LAN in DOS works it says I don´t have permissions to that mapped drive which is not possible... the settings are correct. Plus I do not know how to get PQ to continue from that on without completely restarting it from DOS-disk. I use the Rundegren boot disk,it can ping the tabletop and everything...?

So it should be combined with the PQ bootdisk somehow,I quess?

I´d rather see this to the end before going to Ghost. Because I am really close now.Plus my Ghost (7) does not support XP images,just found out. It finds the laptop,though, so now I have the same problem "the other way round".

So,I run XP on a HP laptop,2K on tabletop. Other configurations as well but at least the LAN works flawlessly now. The desktop has a removable drive for images only and I just can not send my XP-images to that mapped drive. Back to the bootdisk, I feel I am just stuck now,nothing more I can try.Or is there?

I have some earlier images stored in the desktop,the "Image Explorer" reads them fine from XP laptop. But will not transfer, for the same reason.

I have lost two hard drives this year. All too much work lost. I will not give up on this now, both systems work fine. My images are huge because I work with audio/video.

Any help appreciated.Excuse me for the confusing post.:p

Just got Ghost 7.5 and after installing it in 2K and the client in XP it took me ten minutes to configure out the whole show.

Happily ghosted my 30G XP drive over LAN in 1,5 hours or so. Do I feel safe, oh man,this was the answer! Apparently 7.5 is the only one supporting XP clients.

Works really great,does everything in the client end just right,wake-on-LAN, no hassles, no bootdisk floppies unless you really need them. Wow!

I came in late to this very good forum on Ghost, I found it originally through Google and decided to join in because of it... well enough introductions...

Please excuse my question, but:
Do you need to have the dos drivers for your Ethernet cards in order to create the “magical” boot disk…?

I’m referring to either Ghost boot disk or the boot disk that is going to map a Network drive in DOS…

Acronis Drive Image vs. Ghost?

realblackstuff has recommended Acronis drive image. I certainly trust his judgement, but I was wondering if anyone else has an opinon on the two applications. Which one is better?

My environment is two networked (D-Link cable/DSL router) computers running XP Pro. My naim objective with the imaging software is full system backups/disaster recovery.

Thanks

Mikesco - yes, you'll need the dos drivers for you NIC if you plan to create a boot disc. If you own a license for Ghost Console though, then you won't. All you have to do is install the ghost client onto the machine you want to ghost then initiate the capture through the console on the Ghost Server. It will create a virtual boot partition on reboot and will automatically connect to the ghost server. FYI - you can also do this to ghost many machines simultaneously, but I've seen problems bouncing across routers if multicast isn't working perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back