Ghosting to multiple partitions

Status
Not open for further replies.

cogenmaster

I have a 160gb samsung sata drive broke up into 5 partitions. Windows is on is own partition as "c". Games are on another partition, music, vids and another partition etc.... I have a backup ghost of "c" on my backup ide drive that I want to restore to "c". Will that effect the data on the other partitions.

Thanks

No, not normally.

But if it went wrong, you might damage the partition table. I would do a backup first if you can. But there is no good reason why restoring the image would effect the other partitions. I've maybe seen one or two partition table failures in working with images for years.

very bad news

I ghosted the c partition but now i have lost everything on e: j: and f: everything. c: now shows as 150gb partition.

Ghost of a Ghost

I used to use ghost until norton destroyed it..
They made it hard to preset size of partition for target drive/partition.
As you found out, ghost resized your target drive rather than the target partition and it's free space. I think thats why you lost other partitions. There maybe proggy's that can recover your other lost partitions but I'm not aware of them.
I use Acronis true image corporate workstation...now after similar trouble,
you can create an image of C: while booted in windows. Interface is very open and easy to set. Restoring is flawless so far.
I even created a bootable dvd with image (alittle tricky).
Might be worth a look.
Acronis true image
G'luck

Is the data still there?

When I ghosted did I lose all the data or just the partition table. I have never done any kind of recovery like this can I recover the data?

You probably made the mistake of selecting your drive as the clone target instead of the partition when you restored the ghost image.

You should be able to recover your data as long as you don't write anything to your c partition.

Partition Recovery

Downloaded the partition recovery software seems like just what I need but damn is I can get my floppy drive to work. I booted to win98 boot cd i made years ago and have the pr.exe on my backup ide drive but I cant seem to locate it at the dos prompt. The computer gods are diffinately not shinning down on me. I seem to be cursed today. Seems there must be a way to manually rebuild the partition table. I thougt that the partition table resided int the c drive and when I ghosted it would ghost as well. Damn norton anti computer. Any more help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dos won't recognise a 160GB disk. Could get hold of another disc install Windows and Partion recovery on that and slave the 160GB and recover from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back