Gigabyte GA8S661FXM wont POST, RAM LED blinks continuously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tchiseen

ive got this mobo from my CPU. ive got a big PSU, i've unplugged everything i dont need (case leds speakers usb, took out the graphics card) I turn it on, the ram led blinks continuously, my monitor doesnt turn on, no post no nothing. ive tried flashing the cmos by removing the battery and shorting the jumper onboard. is the board just toasted?

cheers

re:

hmm, from yesterday, this is also my problem, on gigabyte ga-vrxp
i think it could be some problem with power, f.e. when i unplug power from some hdd, it keeps 'restarting' until i disconnect it. again, no cmos, no nothing but fans running.
today my ram led does not blink, but there's no difference...

re:

well, today i'm smarter. it was just my power supply adaptor that was frying my motherboard. i've replaced it in time and saved my board from frying :) now everything is ok. and ram led is lightning normally, it should be on, all the time. it means that there's power on ram modules and that removing them is not allowed. bye

I had the same problem on the same motherboard. Spent hours replacing and removing bits. Nothing worked. It's being replaced under warranty. Now just have to wait for the replacement to come from Taiwan. :(

yea? let me know if your new board works for you, cause im wary to send mine back because the ****ers i bought the machine from are douchebags and charge way too much if it's not broken.

Ok. It'll be a few weeks at least until the board comes back. It was supposed to be here last Sunday, but the vendor then informed me that the warranty was being handled from Taiwan and not locally, so I'd have to wait for a replacement board to come in. I did log the error with Giga-byte's help system before returning it to the vendor, but there was a long delay in an answer due to Chinese new year holidays. When I did get a reply they claimed they'd never heard of this type of fault and went on to suggest memory as the problem, and the usual pull all the cards and see what happens. And of course, reset the CMOS by pulling the battery out for 10 minutes. And so on. They went on to suggest that after resetting the CMOS I should enter the BIOS setup, select fail safe defaults, then check to see if the machine will POST. Duhhh. Great suggestion. If I'd managed to select failsafe default, the machine would have already POSTed. I'd already tried all this and much more well before the reply but the board stays dead. In this case the PC had been working well with no problems for about 11 months. Then just failed to start. By the time I got it to the vendor I was suspecting CPU, motherboard or a short. I didn't have any way to test the CPU as I didn't have a compatible one handy, nor another motherboard. But I did try other RAM and power supplies. No good. The RAM from this board worked ok in another machine so it wasn't that. Eventually I ran out of things I could try due to lack of spare hardware lying around, and took it in. After testing the vendor claimed that the CPU was ok, and he couldn't get another CPU to work in this board. Then the warranty wait... At least it broke before the warranty ran out!

Maybe you could describe your problem directly to Giga-byte, I started my query here: http://ggts.gigabyte.com.tw/Default.asp

ive done that multiple times. gigabyte tech is useless regardless of which year of the chineese calendar it is. use-less.

maybe ill just send for a warranty and hope that the mobo is ****ed. i mean, all the same parts are in this machine that is (pseudo)working right now, when i tossy the gigabyte board, no dice. that must mean there's somthign wrong right? i've installed it properly and flashed the bios the kingdom come. if the bastards tell me the mobo is fine and they want 50 bucks to send it back to me ill just tell em to shove it, cause i've got a new asus board on the way and the gigabyte is just taking up dust and collecting space. its a junker anyways.

Well, you wanted to know how it went...

Long delays, I think they do it on purpose to discourage warranty claims.
The board had to be replaced from Taiwan apparently. Anyway it's arrived. Got the package by post from the vendor. Glad the he remembered to include the CPU. Doesn't quite look like a new one though, just an impression. I won't get around to installing for a few days. Hope it actually works.

How did you go with your claim?

that's freakin awsome, good on ya :D
i got a new asus p4p800s-x mobo and it fixed all my problems. only thing now is i need a crack or somthing for office 2003 pro cause it wants to be activated.

i cant be ****ed sending off my gigabyte board, i never liked it much in the first place, not to mention even if i got a brand new one i couldnt sell it for more than 50 bucks which is less than it'd cost for me to send it off. its stuffed, im gonna use it as shark bait or somthing. lmk if you got office help. cheers.

I'm a firm believer in making warranty claims. If they get enough they might just decided it'd be cheaper to build the product better in the first place. This replacement only cost me postage one way as the vendor sells at some local markets twice a month, other than I'd be a 100km trip to his store. Strangely, I also had a 250GB Seagate SATA drive die, from the same vendor. This HDD worked for a few weeks then stopped. It was in a different machine to the motherboard problem. As the warranty replacement was going to take a while I replaced it with a Seagate 250GB PATA. I picked up the replacement 250GB Seagate SATA today but haven't had a chance to move the operating system over onto it yet. Been playing with the 4 port KVM switch I bought today...

It really is the season for warranties, I also had an LG GSA-4081B DVD recorder go as well. The warrany claim isn't settled on that one yet, next weekend was the last I heard on it. We'll see. Odd too that the recorder and the motherboard both went out with only 3 weeks left on their warranties. Looks like they don't make the warranty bits as well as they used to either, that bit in the hardware breaks as soon as the 12 months are up. Around here it's been going off early, might have been confused by daylight saving or somesuch. :suspiciou

I can't say I particularly like Gigabyte motherboard either. That other one died, and the main machine's K8NSNXP-939 is becoming a bit of a pain. Having two sets of SATA and RAID controllers on it isn't looking like that great an idea, particularly as they're from different chip makers. I much preferred working on my older ASUS and ABit boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back