Gigabyte unveils 0.9-inch thick, dual-GPU Aorus X7 gaming laptop

Jos

Staff

gigabyte gpu aorus

Razer’s Blade family of laptops proved that mobile gaming doesn’t need to mean large and bulky devices. Now Gigabyte is joining the fray with the Aorus SLI Gaming Laptop X7, a 17.3-inch model is a mere 0.9-inches thick and weighs 6.4 pounds. That’s about the same size as the Razer Blade Pro, but Aorus packs in twice the graphical power, with two of the same Nvidia GeForce GTX 765M GPUs found on the Blade Pro.

Elsewhere specs are equally impressive and vary depending on hoy much you are willing to invest. The company lists a 4th generation Intel Core i7-4700HQ processor running at 2.4GHz to 3.4GHz, 1920 x 1080 resolution display, your choice between 4GB and up to 32GB of RAM, and a combination of up to two mSATA 128GB/256GB solid-state drives as well as one traditional 2.5-inch hard disk drive up to 1TB.

gigabyte gpu aorus

In terms of ports, connectivity and other features you’ll get three USB 3.0, two USB 2.0, two full-size HDMI video outputs plus one mini DisplayPort for three-screen surround gaming, Gigabit Ethernet, an SD card reader, a pair of speakers, backlit keyboard with dedicated macro keys, 802.11ac Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0 and a 1.3MP webcam.

Build quality appears to be good with a solid aluminum chassis and matte black finish. Design-wise, well, that’s a matter of personal choice but Gigabyte is going for an aggressive look accompanied by some tacky marketing speech: "The glass touchpad with fingerprint-proof coating denotes the commander’s clear vision through chaos and turmoil," and “the metallic silver eagle badge and 3 molded ridges symbolize fierce yet rapid attack from high above."

Gigabyte expects the Aorus X7 to ship by March of this year priced between $2,099 and $2,799.

gigabyte gpu aorus

Permalink to story.

What is the point in neutering graphics to work in a laptop and then doubling the GPU count, which also introduces possible SLI performance issues? This concept puzzles me. Why not use a single GPU of equal performance?

What is the point in neutering graphics to work in a laptop and then doubling the GPU count, which also introduces possible SLI performance issues? This concept puzzles me. Why not use a single GPU of equal performance?

True, considering the GTX 780M is literally 2x as fast as the 765M... makes no sense to me, unless 2x 765Ms draw slightly less power, or help spread out the heat better (probably the main reason.)

Did it ever occur to you that the 765M is easier to keep cool with such a small form factor than the 780M? It is less powerful and cooling two of them would be seemingly easier than a single 780M and they probably tried this during R&D and it turned out to overheat. They say it works as good as a GTX780M.

2 765Ms draw significantly less power than a single 780M. While the memory bandwidth is less than half, it still performs quite well under SLI.

Some games are reported to run slightly better on 2 765s than a single 780, others less so. It is give and take.

Seeing as there are 2 765Ms in it, it looks to spread the heat across the entire bottom rather than being super hot in 1 spot causing extra strain on the components and contacts in such a small form factor.

I am sure a ton of R&D went into making this, more reasons than I or you can list or think up. I am sure there were other issues not listed too.

What I find annoying is that the webcam is only 1.3 mp... My sony Vaio Core 2 Duo has a 4MP camera... I mean I get they added it for say skype or something, but I mean come on. For the price I would have expected a better camera.

There's still resemblance with alienware.. with a thinner profile.. and obviously I'm agreed with other comments why using two GPUs, not a single GPU with similar performance

2 765Ms draw significantly less power than a single 780M. While the memory bandwidth is less than half, it still performs quite well under SLI.
Read and weep.
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 765M SLI (120W-130W) vs NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M (100W)

I don't care how you slice it, power consumption is heat produced. The 780M would produce less heat than two 765M within the confined space of a laptop.
http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-765M-SLI.96627.0.html

Part of the problem is the price/cost of the GTX 780m, they are valued at around on their own depending on where you look 600-800 a piece versus a GTX 765m at 150-250 so sticking 2 of those equates to being a cheaper option. Though im with yall, if im paying 2k for a laptop, I would rather have a GTX 780m with SLI capability than 2 765m, but maybe we can upgrade this laptop like MSI's.

"2 765Ms draw significantly less power than a single 780M. While the memory bandwidth is less than half, it still performs quite well under SLI"
--> Lol

"Seeing as there are 2 765Ms in it, it looks to spread the heat across the entire bottom rather than being super hot in 1 spot causing extra strain on the components and contacts in such a small form factor"
"..cooling two of them would be seemingly easier than a single 780M"
--> epic Lol

"The glass touchpad with fingerprint-proof coating denotes the commander’s clear vision through chaos and turmoil,"

Honestly who thinks up this stuff?

“the metallic silver eagle badge and 3 molded ridges symbolize fierce yet rapid attack from high above."

And then you have this! Almost fall over laughing...

Thank you guest above for your insightful lol's

Anyone think about frame buffer? Or if it could be a problem, 2x765M is 2x2048MB of VRAM or 2048MB buffer, vs the 780M which can support up to 4096MB which you can then SLI with. However I suppose you'll run out of GPU before if trying to run three screens at once.

"The glass touchpad with fingerprint-proof coating denotes the commander’s clear vision through chaos and turmoil,"

Honestly who thinks up this stuff?

“the metallic silver eagle badge and 3 molded ridges symbolize fierce yet rapid attack from high above."

And then you have this! Almost fall over laughing...

Thank you guest above for your insightful lol's

Anyone think about frame buffer? Or if it could be a problem, 2x765M is 2x2048MB of VRAM or 2048MB buffer, vs the 780M which can support up to 4096MB which you can then SLI with. However I suppose you'll run out of GPU before if trying to run three screens at once.

Yea, I mean these are already mobile GPU's which is not as powerful as the desktop similar numbered so I can't imagine this working very well on three screens.

I liked the way gigabyte used to be, when they would put up motherboards and all with great value and upgradeable through bios updates and drivers. But seeing as to how disappointing it was for me when I bought a new z77x-d3h and had problems with wireless devices(yes even mouse and keyboard combo's), that worked good on other motherboards, not to mention the lackluster way of dealing with these issues, I pretty much thought to myself, to be careful with a range of their products when buying them. Next time I'll just go for an Asus deluxe as even though sometimes drivers where pushed late, the system never had issues with anything else most of the time. Yeah I know this was something way of topic. But it makes me wonder what they are thinking of when they bring something to the market that doesn't really seem to make sense

True, considering the GTX 780M is literally 2x as fast as the 765M... makes no sense to me, unless 2x 765Ms draw slightly less power, or help spread out the heat better (probably the main reason.)
Doubt it has anything to do with heat. 2 GPUs will always heat up more than 1 regardless.

Back