Glass for Work program aims to connect working professionals with developers

Shawn Knight

Staff member

google glass work google glass glass for work

Google has received a ton of criticism as it relates to privacy issues with its Glass headset but perhaps they’ve been going at it all wrong. What if Glass wasn’t best suited for consumers but rather for working professionals?

The headset has already found early success in law enforcement, firefighting, medicine, manufacturing and with athletes. It’s an outlet that Google is preparing to explore with its Glass for Work initiative, a program that aims to make it easier for businesses that want to use Glass to connect with developers wanting to serve that particular market.

In the announcement, Google highlights a few cases where developers and corporate clients have already come together to create a successful experience.

The Washington Capitals partnered with APX Labs to create a fan experience where real time stats, instant replay and different camera angles are all brought directly to Capitals fans via Glass. Schlumberger, the world’s largest oilfield services company, partnered with Wearable Intelligence and is using Glass to increase safety and efficiency for their employees in the field.

Re/code also has the story of Dr. Steve Horng, an emergency room doctor at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center that recently credited Glass with helping to save a patient from the chance of permanent disability of death during an operation.

Say what you want about Glass for consumers but there’s no denying that it could be an extremely useful tool for a number of working professionals.

Interested parties – both enterprise clients and developers – are urged to complete this form to get started.

Permalink to story.

This will change the world. It will change how people train, communicate and the millions of other countless things spinning in parts of my mind I can't control. Personally I want to get a set for driving so next time a cop bumps my speed from 63MPH to 74MPH (they don't need to radar to ticket you) I will have some proof to backup my claim.

recently credited Glass with helping to save a patient from the chance of permanent disability of death during an operation.
Best typo of the week right there. :)

Say what you want about Glass for consumers but there’s no denying that it could be an extremely useful tool for a number of working professionals.
The biggest criticism against Glass hasn't been privacy per se, but the fact that no one is going to want to spend $1500 to look like a fool for whatever small cool thing Glass can do for them in their everyday life. If it's useful for your job that's another thing entirely. It adds a valid purpose and also gives an excuse for the fashion issue.

recently credited Glass with helping to save a patient from the chance of permanent disability of death during an operation.
Best typo of the week right there. :)

The biggest criticism against Glass hasn't been privacy per se, but the fact that no one is going to want to spend $1500 to look like a fool for whatever small cool thing Glass can do for them in their everyday life. If it's useful for your job that's another thing entirely. It adds a valid purpose and also gives an excuse for the fashion issue.

Well that still comes down to the dev phase of this device which is why theres such a high premium. When the retail version comes out based on the cost of parts the device should run about 500 bucks give or take.

Back