glithcing

Status
Not open for further replies.

referee

i just completed a full restore and it seems to be running worse then before. i am geting "glitching" on my comp from my initial startup, to everything from my winamp, to my online games.

my comp:
p3/600 with 320mb, 40 gigs .

i would really appreciate any help i could get from anybody. i'm new to this type of thing so if u could keep the lingo simple and the instructions precise i would much appreciate that.

(*edited by mod)

Going to need some more info.

What Operating System are you running?

What are these "glitches" exactly? Are the programs stalling, performing illegal operations, or maybe Blue Screen?

HAve you recently made any configuration changes?

Be as detailed as possible, if you don't know what something is called, just describe it.

Also a list of the hardware installed on the system might be helpful, or the make and model of the system if it is a brand name box.

Agreed. Your responses will only be as good as the question asked.

"glitches" could be caused by any number of things. If you'd like a more customized response, try http://search.support.microsoft.com

They have an entire database dedicated to Windows problems.. It's massive and thorough.

Exactly Rick...We can't even begin to diagnose your problem if we don't have information as to what's happening with you.

thank you for your replies; my apologies for not being more specific, so i will try my best. to start with, when i boot my comp the windows loading sound freezes, this also happens when i play my music on winamp and try to perform another operation. i also get this freezing [stalling] situation when i host and play my "rogue spear" game. none of these things happened b4 i did my full restore. since then i have done a few tweeks to my windows; tweeks from ur sites. i dont think this is the problem because i ran the same tweeks b4 my restore and it was fine. i currently run win98, but i am not sure what more info u need. i will try the url's that u gave me, but feel free to suggest anything else!

Did anything happen during your full restore? Anything suspicious at all? Perhaps the first (that or last) thing you should do is run the full restore again and see if it still happens.

Originally posted by referee
thank you for your replies; my apologies for not being more specific, so i will try my best. to start with, when i boot my comp the windows loading sound freezes, this also happens when i play my music on winamp and try to perform another operation. i also get this freezing [stalling] situation when i host and play my "rogue spear" game. none of these things happened b4 i did my full restore. since then i have done a few tweeks to my windows; tweeks from ur sites. i dont think this is the problem because i ran the same tweeks b4 my restore and it was fine. i currently run win98, but i am not sure what more info u need. i will try the url's that u gave me, but feel free to suggest anything else!

Hmm... it happens at the windows startup sound, while playing music in winamp, and in games...

Hmm... sounds to me like there is a soundcard issue, be it the card itself, drivers, or whatnot.

When you do a system recovery, all the drivers will be changed to the originals or with the XP chosen defaults. Have you checked to make sure you have the updated drivers for your soundcard installed. Also you could try checking to make sure everything is ok in your hardware profile.

The first and best thing I would suggest is to get the latest sound card drivers for your sound card. You can download them at your manufacturer's website, most likely.

Originally posted by Soul Harvester

When you do a system recovery, all the drivers will be changed to the originals or with the XP chosen defaults. Have you checked to make sure you have the updated drivers for your soundcard installed. Also you could try checking to make sure everything is ok in your hardware profile.

He is running Win98, so I would assume the "Restore" he is talking about would refer to a disc that contains the original configuration of software and drivers that were originally on the system new.

Restoring should have solved the problem if it was related to the configuration as long as he hasn't added hardware components, their drivers wouldn't be on that restore disc. I want to lean toward it being a problem caused by one of the last programs he installed, possibly something that shares a file with audio resources.

***I'm assuming he used the restore setting that let him keep his data. If he did a complete format and restored then his problem is probably hardware related.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back