Global CPU shipments surge by 23% in the third quarter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Global PC microprocessor shipments grew to an all-time high during the third quarter of 2009, according to a report by IDC. The firm's data shows that computer processor shipments rose 23% from the previous quarter, or about double the usual growth in unit shipments for the same period. Revenue also increased, climbing 14% on quarter to $7.4 billion.

Mobile PC processors like Intel's Atom accounted for much of the surge, increasing 35.7% on quarter. Sales of desktop chips were up 11.4%, and x86 server processors grew 12.2% quarter-over-quarter. Intel represented 81.1% of the total CPU market in the third quarter, which is up 2.2%, while AMD earned a share of 18.7%, a 2.0% loss. VIA Technologies was barely on the map at 0.2%.

By form factor, Intel bagged 88% of the mobile PC segment, a gain of 1.1%, AMD held 11.9%, a loss of 0.7%, and VIA claimed 0.2%. Share were similarly divided in the PC server and workstation processor sector, with Intel holding 90.4% of the market, up 0.5%, and AMD at 9.6%, down 0.5%. In the desktop segment, Intel claimed 72.2%, a gain of 2.0%, AMD finished with 27.4%, a loss of 1.9%, and VIA earned 0.3%.

Permalink to story.

Ouch, intel is dominating AMD :/
Right now the best price per performance rig for gaming would be a i5-750 , P55 mobo, ati 5770 and 2x 2GB sticks of ddr3 assuming the monitor you have run at 1680x1050 max resolution..... AMD can't come close to the price you can get those items at with the same performance :/ I might not be correct tho, if there is something better then this bang for the buck let me know ;]

Man , AMD is plunging , the only thing really saving them seems to be their graphics cards . AMD needs something new in their CPU stock , nice and powerful . With good pricing too , Intel is bribing to much . mann.. :D

I just need to be convinced that AMD has better cpus and they'll get my hard earned cash. In the past they've just confused me. A good solid marketing campaign may just be what the doctor ordered. And it would be nice to have an easier side by side comparison of AMD and Intel CPUs. Price vs performance is also a major factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back