Global PC shipments down for the eighth consecutive quarter

Shawn Knight

Staff member

The global PC industry experienced its eighth consecutive quarter of declining shipments this past quarter according to the latest preliminary data from Gartner. The market research firm says this is the longest duration of decline the industry has ever experienced.

Mikako Kitagawa, principal analyst at Gartner, said there are two fundamental issues that have led to the record downturn: the extension of the lifetime of the PC due to the excess of consumer devices and weak demand for PCs in emerging markets.

Kitagawa said data from their 2016 personal technology survey shows that the majority of consumers in mature markets own and use at least three different types of devices. The PC isn’t a high priority for these consumers which means they aren’t being upgraded as often as they once were.

Consumers in emerging markets, meanwhile, primarily use smartphones for their computing needs and thus, don’t feel the need to use a PC like those in mature markets might.

Another hurdle that PC manufacturers faced this past quarter was weak back-to-school demand.

In years past, the third quarter has been driven by strong back-to-school sales but with so many PCs already in the wild, parents aren’t seeing the need to buy their kids new computers. In fact, Gartner says many parents are handing down their old PCs to their kids.

Gartner also noted that although its PC shipment report doesn’t include Chromebooks, early indicators show that Chromebooks exceeded PC shipment growth.

Image courtesy CNN

Permalink to story.

Not to mention that ANY company that expects and plans for "continued growth" has no understanding of the marketplace. Sustained growth is a myth while the fortunes of a "Samsung" situation are very real and serve as a reminder to businesses to plan for the next twenty years rather than just the next two quarters .....

Most girls I know and I know a lot (not like it may sound) don't use computers at all. They do all with their phone. In fact I have taken in 4 computers in the last couple months simply cause they don't want them.

Doesn't matter what time day or night I am in town, robots are on their phone. This robot stays home and stays on my computer.

And of course there are many guys that wish they were girls

Most girls I know and I know a lot (not like it may sound) don't use computers at all. They do all with their phone. In fact I have taken in 4 computers in the last couple months simply cause they don't want them.

Doesn't matter what time day or night I am in town, robots are on their phone. This robot stays home and stays on my computer.

There's a lot to be said about this post. Quite a lot to be said.

Between first tablets and now smartphones providing enough for a lot of people, not to mention the underwhelming advances by Intel (for example) this is not surprising. And then there is Windows 10 LOL

Well, the Bilderberg Group should do something! We are in danger to use obsolete laptops!!!

I agree. I was shocked that my female friends buy and browse and even create their own websites all on their phones! I was like wtf how uncomfortable is that??? but they're like why pay for something I don't need when my phone can do it all?

Back