Well now scientists are worried about Global Warming again. heres the sequence

1. Global Warming

2. came Bird Flu H5N1

3. Now that Bird Flu has calmed down, we're back to Global Warming again

You cant open a newpaper anymore w/o a global warming page coming up

please give comments and opinions on this

thanks
....AMD

I hear "An Inconvenient Truth" gives an intelligent presentation on the warming issue.

I think I'll wait for the DVD.

Comments and opinions? Humans are a scourge on the earth. We better pursue space travel, because we will eventually render this planet uninhabitable. JMHO.

3. Now that Bird Flu has calmed down, we're back to Global Warming again

Except that the Avian Influenza H5N1 issue hasn't cooled down at all. The public are just used to it and bored so the media is doing less reporting. If you follow the issue closely, you'll see that things are actually worse than ever.

ohh i havent really been following the issue but like you said its been less advertised on the media lately. But what are you gonna do, not a whole lot except wait for it to either resolve itself or wait for it to happen

Governments need to enforce more tougher global warming measures. America is one of the most technologically advaced nations, American scientists should try to find a solution to the problem.
True, we don't hear much about the avian flu anymore.
Remember?
Gas prices
Now:
Flooding in the NE
Fireworks danger
War on TError

while it is true that america has all the needed technology available to it, however that doesn't mean they can use it.

you have to realize that the american government is indirectly controlled by big corporations. large corporations have lobbyists working non-stop. and many corporate big-wigs are buddy buddy with politicians, or have business relations with them. politicians will not step in because almost all of their campaign contributions come from the same companies that are polluting.

while environmental laws have gotten tougher, they are still far from where they need to be, and they still need to be enforced. however i don't see this becoming a reality. when a CEO has to decide between: [A: reduce pollution and take a pay cut to cover the associated costs] or [B: leave things as is (or maybe even pollute more) and get a salary raise and a nice bonus]... which option do you think they will choose?

to get into high ranking positions in government and big corporations, you often have to lie/cheat/steal your way up to the top. these types of people waved goodbye to ethics and morals long ago, but unfortunetly they are the majority of people in control.

ok, I'm done with my government/corporate corruption spiel :)

and BTW, America may be the biggest offender, but they are not the only ones at fault.

Yes, its true we have all the power available, and now we're not doing a darn thing about it.

America is the only remaining SuperPower in the world, so we should be the ones to take the offensive, and hope the rest of the worlds nations will follow.

We have done a little work

1. stricter pollution laws

2. eliminated CFCs

3. improved filters on smokestacks

but its still far from enough to save this planet

America isn't really the only remaining super power in the world, but it is one of the most technologically advanced nation.

Americans can ask other nations to also do what they are doing. Americans should also follow other countries. Some countries have clean cars that run on hydrogen/methane.
Some other countries have ethional gas, which is cleaner than what americans' gasses, they are also cheaper.

Americans should also do more to save the rainforests, from deforstation. Americans should also try and spread the word of recycling.

Maybe Americans could find synthetic wood products so that they could cut down on destroing forests. They can also create cleaner factories and powerplants.

AMDIsTheBest010 said:
Yes, its true we have all the power available, and now we're not doing a darn thing about it.
Thats the sad part of it. If Green Land thaws any more it could raise ocean levels up to 25'ft. Good-bye coastal cities world wide...

I think it would be best for the US government to federally subsidise the "green" car trend. You cannot expect the consumers to pay up front for the devlopment of the technology. This is what the federal government did to get the railroad system going in the 1800s and I believe this is what is needed to get another huhge system off the ground. And taxing the lviing hell out of people who drive SUVs and do not need them.

I think it is time to get serious about global warming.

Of course this would be great if we lived in a utopia, but we dont, so I am just blabbering about the hypothetical.

Not that there's anything wrong here, but might I direct anybody who wants a deeper discussion on Global Warming to the "Environment Change" forum at http://www.netweather.tv/forum/

There's a lot more too it all than meets the eye. They have a weather based board, and so naturally those discussing GW over there tend to look at it from a more scientific perspective.

Not plugging it really, but I just thought that people may genuinely be interested.

Scientists on Global Warming are still not 100% clear on the issue. There are many reputable scientists around the world who disagree with the basic argument and connatations of global warming. Although many of the general public think otherwise there still isnt any clear cut evidence.

In my own opinion i beleive its more to do with depleting energy resources. That is most likely the hidden cause for conflict to come in the coming generations.

ah well global warming or not, I still think it would be a good idea to find an alternative to Fossil Fuels as our primary source of energy.

There are others, like propane, and hydorgen.
People could use solar cells to power thier homes, instead of using the coal burning powerplants, that release more carbon dioxide into the air.
We could use hydorlelectricity. its clean.
There are endless possibilities to alternative fuels.

We need to slow global warming, so our children can live more safer and comfortable lives in the future, everything we do, helps our children in some way, positive or negative.

My parents both drive Hybrid Cars, My mom has a 2006 Honda Accord Hybrid, and my dad drives a 2005 Honda civic hybrid

Moms Accord get s about 44MPG on the highway
Dads Civic gets about 56MPG on the highway

My word! I get 50 to the gallon out of my diesel car here in the UK, and it sure sin't a hybrid.

I think perhaps a good first step in the US would be for the american people in general to accept the fact that bigger doesn't nessecarily mean better in terms of cars. You can get as much power out of a 1.8 engine as you can out of a 3.0. It all depends on the weight and aerodynamics of the car, and the design of the engine.

I rather suspect that if America in general were to accept this relatively small change, then the american people would also be far happier about gas prices. It's actually possible these days to build a decent car, commercially, that does 80-90 miles per gallon for very little significant performance trade off.

How much is Gas in the UK right now?

Gas here in the States is averaging about $2.89 a gallon

there are a few diesel cars here in america, Mercedes makes a diesel, and there is a diesel SUV called the Jeep Liberty, which is made by daimlerchrysler corporation, but thats the only ones i know of

At the moment, it's just under one pound per litre (1000 ml - we don't measure by the gallon).

Anyhow, it's a little besides the point, as it's the government tax on it that's making it so expensive, as a deterrant to driving (apparently). Our government offers NO subsidy to auto manufacturers or importers though. If the people of the US were all using the cars we do over here, at your gas prices, it would be like going back to the 1930's in price terms. lol

Seriously, if Americans used our newer UK/Eropean (and dare I say it, japanese (blasphemy!!!) lol) vehicles (well, left hand drive versions, obviously), US motoring would be very very cheap indeed..

Spike said:
I think perhaps a good first step in the US would be for the american people in general to accept the fact that bigger doesn't nessecarily mean better in terms of cars. You can get as much power out of a 1.8 engine as you can out of a 3.0. It all depends on the weight and aerodynamics of the car, and the design of the engine.
It just so happens that a group here is building a prototype completely out of carbon fiber. Reducing wieght by atleast 2/3 and stronger than metal.
ref: Science channel "Count down to extinction" July 17th 06.
But I'm big into the use of H (hydrogen) and Iceland is a major contender for producing it cheaply.
The US is charging 100% tarrif on ethanol imported from Brazil they make from sugar cane and we now have a prairy grass discovered that can produce more ethanol than corn. The tarrif on crude oil is 0%.

SOcRatEs said:
It just so happens that a group here is building a prototype completely out of carbon fiber. .

Cool!!!!! :D

The Japanese managed it out of Nylon (of all things!). Carbon Fibre though would bee very cool if they could get over the brittleness issue.

I have a flex fuel truck. I can't wait to buy ethanol. I wish this was available already. The U.S. needs to get off middle east oil.

Yes, I know we have a new dodge minivan that is flex fuel and we have been buying it, there are quite a few ethanol stations where i live that offer E85

i will admit that here in america, we like big things :)

however the general public does not have the ability to produce anything, we simply buy and use what is avialable to us. it really doesn't matter what we want, it's whatever makes the contracted companies the most money is what will be produced. if we could buy a big truck and have it get 50 MPG... don't you think we would buy it??

I drive a Dodge Dakota 1/2ton truck with a 4.7 liter V-8 engine. it gets about 12MPG city and 16MPG highway. this is about average for large trucks and SUVs. am I evil for owning and driving a "gas-guzzler" like this?? i think not.

don't blame the american people for driving gas guzzlers, blame the manufacturers and the government for not producing and mandating fuel efficient models. you would find very few (if any at all) americans who enjoy paying a fortune for gas.

Tedster said:
I have a flex fuel truck. I can't wait to buy ethanol. I wish this was available already. The U.S. needs to get off middle east oil.

Yeah and they need to get off their land too.

Back