Glow-in-the-dark roads are now a reality in the Netherlands

Shawn Knight

Staff member

glow---dark netherlands glow in the dark roads streets

Glow-in-the-dark roads are something you’d expect to see in the next sci-fi blockbuster, not on public roadways in present time. But that’s exactly what you’d see should you traverse down a 500m (0.3 mile) stretch of the N329 highway in the Netherlands.

The project was first announced by Studio Roosegaarde in October 2012. After wading through a sea of legal red tape, the finished product is now a reality in the form of glow-in-the-dark road markings. The glow is said to last up to eight hours after receiving a full charge from the sun during the daytime.

glow---dark netherlands glow in the dark roads streets

They were created using a photo-luminescent powder mixed in with road paint and represent the first step of a lofty vision that include things like weather markings that would only be visible under specific weather conditions. One such example is snowflake markings that would appear once the temperature dropped below a certain threshold.

Aside from looking futuristic, an expansion of the project could prove fruitful in a number of different ways. Increased driver visibility at night is certainly a plus and the fact that streetlights aren’t needed where the reflective mixture is used would help reduce energy costs.

Long term effects like wear and tear, however, aren’t yet known.

The project was developed in conjunction with construction company Heijmans. The pair aim to expand soon although they’ve yet to secure any additional contracts.

Permalink to story.

I have to say that this is actually a really good idea. Hopefully this idea spreads to other countries. This has a lot of potential, and will help reduce the number of vehicle collisions ("accidents" depending on what you want to call them).

Doesn't it snow a lot there? Wouldn't snow cover that paint making those roads totally unmarked at night in even light snowfall?

I really think they need lights to mark those roads, not just paint.

Trying to be too cheap gonna get people killed.

Neat idea. Dark rainy nights seem to swallow light (with water filling the textured surfaces, light just reflects forward and does not return to the driver's eyes) - and this looks to be a significant improvement.

Thats a really cool idea.

I like in the USA they have those reflectors /---\ bump things on the lines witch we cant use in canada because of the snowplows.

Hope this work so we can get some here too!

What if it rains for a couple of days in a row (definitely possible here in Maryland), and the markings don't get a full charge? If there aren't any streetlights, the roads would be pitch-black.

Total waste of money and resources and probably dangerous. Does not help with the main causes of accidents. Focus on how to stop people texting, speeding, not using turn signals, or falling asleep. If these glowing lane markers are not paired with street lights as proposed in the article it will make it even harder to see pedestrians, bicyclists, animals or other obstacles and unanticipated road conditions in the roadway. A standard "rumble strip" paired with retro-reflective paint and street lights does a much better job. Nice art project but not practical.

TLDR: saves more in life, time, and money for everyone then it cost the paint roads and looks cool

what about black ice. when its cold enough to freeze water and there is rain or still water on the road it turn to near or completely invisble ice. it cause sliding, spinouts and crashes into other cars. in large city it can cause traffic jams or depending on the size of the accident bring a highway to a complete stop. costing many time and money. Wasted gas, delayed diliveries from trucks, not to mention road cleanup and damage to vehicles involed it could cost thousand to millions. most bussiness loses and expense are tax decutable and can be used to deceased how much they pay. New road paint cost versus lost time, money, taxes, personal injury, and tax revenue. even if only prevent 5 accidents a year thats 5 times it didn't happen and thousands saved. it also looks futuristic and looks cool.

If our head lights included an Ultra violet globe. (This can be in the form of the parker lights) than the line markings would be even more noticeable as wold cyclist and road workers wearing florescent vests or clothing. An ultra voilet light can extend the distance that an object becomes noticeable

I have no idea how to call it in english since we call them "Lomo de toro"... the hightened bumps in the road for cars to slow down before passing them??

Well... I've been more than once in places that you can't see them at all!

This would be awesome.

What if it rains for a couple of days in a row (definitely possible here in Maryland), and the markings don't get a full charge? If there aren't any streetlights, the roads would be pitch-black.
So it wouldn't be any different than how it is now? If there is a possibility to save any lives, why not go for it?
Does not help with the main causes of accidents. Focus on how to stop people texting.
What is your suggestion, have a dispenser that takes your phone when you start the car and does not give it back until you are in park? There is absolutely no possible way to stop people from using their cell phones.

Last edited:
I'm such a fail.... your phone*
Mate, just so you know next to the report link(under your post) is an edit button where you can quickly change your post to whatever you meant to say. Just jump to forum mode to make these changes!

Last edited:
Uh ya... just like normal road lines. I don't see how that's a disaster lol.
I do not know how it is in america but in germany we have poles with reflecting stripes every 50 meters on the side of the road, so even when you do not see the road at all you know where to go.
Those illuminated stripes were supposed to replace them.

Back