TechSpot

Glow-in-the-dark roads are now a reality in the Netherlands

By Shawn Knight
Apr 14, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Glow-in-the-dark roads are something you'd expect to see in the next sci-fi blockbuster, not on public roadways in present time. But that's exactly what you'd see should you traverse down a 500m (0.3 mile) stretch of the N329 highway in...

Read more

2. Spykezxp

Spykezxp TS Addict Posts: 290   +73

I have to say that this is actually a really good idea. Hopefully this idea spreads to other countries. This has a lot of potential, and will help reduce the number of vehicle collisions ("accidents" depending on what you want to call them).

3. Doesn't it snow a lot there? Wouldn't snow cover that paint making those roads totally unmarked at night in even light snowfall?

I really think they need lights to mark those roads, not just paint.

Trying to be too cheap gonna get people killed.

4. Cycloid Torus

Cycloid Torus TS Evangelist Posts: 1,667   +312

Neat idea. Dark rainy nights seem to swallow light (with water filling the textured surfaces, light just reflects forward and does not return to the driver's eyes) - and this looks to be a significant improvement.

5. Neojt

Neojt TS Booster Posts: 167   +22

Thats a really cool idea.

I like in the USA they have those reflectors /---\ bump things on the lines witch we cant use in canada because of the snowplows.

Hope this work so we can get some here too!

6. pmkrefeld

pmkrefeld TS Member Posts: 44

Cool but, what if those markings are covered in snow or dirt?
    You would then see absolutely nothing.

7. nugnamnivek

nugnamnivek TS Rookie

Uh ya... just like normal road lines. I don't see how that's a disaster lol.

SantistaUSA likes this.
  8. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,519   +2,060

I'm for anything that improves road safety and if this works, great, It should be adopted worldwide then.

SantistaUSA likes this.
  9. Nima304

Nima304 TS Guru Posts: 365   +81

What if it rains for a couple of days in a row (definitely possible here in Maryland), and the markings don't get a full charge? If there aren't any streetlights, the roads would be pitch-black.

10. TRON

SantistaUSA likes this.
  11. Cycleogical

Cycleogical TS Rookie

Total waste of money and resources and probably dangerous. Does not help with the main causes of accidents. Focus on how to stop people texting, speeding, not using turn signals, or falling asleep. If these glowing lane markers are not paired with street lights as proposed in the article it will make it even harder to see pedestrians, bicyclists, animals or other obstacles and unanticipated road conditions in the roadway. A standard "rumble strip" paired with retro-reflective paint and street lights does a much better job. Nice art project but not practical.

WithoutAnyMilk likes this.
  12. WithoutAnyMilk

WithoutAnyMilk TS Enthusiast Posts: 29   +10

+1. I'm with you on this one.

13. TheLastPanda

TheLastPanda TS Member Posts: 78   +10

Since when does glow in the dark need to be practical? Never. 10/10 would spend tax dollars again

14. MannerMauler

MannerMauler TS Booster Posts: 100   +18

Just so you know, "[Netherlands] [Yes] [Fines up to €2,000 or two weeks in jail]"

http://www.cellular-news.com/car_bans/

15. pheonixnexus

pheonixnexus TS Rookie Posts: 17

TLDR: saves more in life, time, and money for everyone then it cost the paint roads and looks cool

what about black ice. when its cold enough to freeze water and there is rain or still water on the road it turn to near or completely invisble ice. it cause sliding, spinouts and crashes into other cars. in large city it can cause traffic jams or depending on the size of the accident bring a highway to a complete stop. costing many time and money. Wasted gas, delayed diliveries from trucks, not to mention road cleanup and damage to vehicles involed it could cost thousand to millions. most bussiness loses and expense are tax decutable and can be used to deceased how much they pay. New road paint cost versus lost time, money, taxes, personal injury, and tax revenue. even if only prevent 5 accidents a year thats 5 times it didn't happen and thousands saved. it also looks futuristic and looks cool.

16. Booog

Booog TS Rookie

Wow! now that is some TRON **** going on there. Coool!

SantistaUSA likes this.
  17. Melbcity

Melbcity TS Rookie

If our head lights included an Ultra violet globe. (This can be in the form of the parker lights) than the line markings would be even more noticeable as wold cyclist and road workers wearing florescent vests or clothing. An ultra voilet light can extend the distance that an object becomes noticeable

18. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,518   +506

I have no idea how to call it in english since we call them "Lomo de toro"... the hightened bumps in the road for cars to slow down before passing them??

Well... I've been more than once in places that you can't see them at all!

This would be awesome.

19. TheDreams

TheDreams TS Addict Posts: 611   +61

So it wouldn't be any different than how it is now? If there is a possibility to save any lives, why not go for it?
    What is your suggestion, have a dispenser that takes your phone when you start the car and does not give it back until you are in park? There is absolutely no possible way to stop people from using their cell phones.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  20. MannerMauler

I just relised what I left out, In the netherlands you can be fined up to €2,000 or two weeks in jail just for talking on phone w/out a headset

21. MannerMauler

I'm such a fail.... your phone*

22. TheDreams

TheDreams TS Addict Posts: 611   +61

Mate, just so you know next to the report link(under your post) is an edit button where you can quickly change your post to whatever you meant to say. Just jump to forum mode to make these changes!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  23. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

Good idea. I cant imagine a road without streetlights though.

24. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 6,980   +362

Just want to add, these links are in Forum Mode.

TheDreams likes this.
  25. pmkrefeld

pmkrefeld TS Member Posts: 44

I do not know how it is in america but in germany we have poles with reflecting stripes every 50 meters on the side of the road, so even when you do not see the road at all you know where to go.
    Those illuminated stripes were supposed to replace them.