GLW_StartOpenGL()

Status
Not open for further replies.

akrepi

plz anybody help with this .. i am trying to install return to castle wolfenstein ....installing seems fine but when i want to play the game i get this message ...

Wolf 1.0.0 win-x86 Nov 13 2001
----- FS_Startup -----
Current search path:
C:\PROGRA~1\RETURN~1\main\sp_pak2.pk3 (232 files)
C:\PROGRA~1\RETURN~1\main\sp_pak1.pk3 (1342 files)
C:\PROGRA~1\RETURN~1\main\pak0.pk3 (4775 files)
C:\PROGRA~1\RETURN~1/main

----------------------
6349 files in pk3 files
execing default.cfg
couldn't exec language.cfg
couldn't exec wolfconfig.cfg
execing autoexec.cfg
Hunk_Clear: reset the hunk ok
...detecting CPU, found Intel Pentium III
Bypassing CD checks
----- Client Initialization -----
Cmd_AddCommand: map_restart already defined
----- Initializing Renderer ----
-------------------------------
----- Client Initialization Complete -----
----- R_Init -----
Initializing OpenGL subsystem
...initializing QGL
...calling LoadLibrary( 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\opengl32.dll' ): succeeded
...setting mode 3: 640 480 FS
...using desktop display depth of 16
...calling CDS: ok
...registered window class
...created window@0,0 (640x480)
Initializing OpenGL driver
...getting DC: succeeded
...GLW_ChoosePFD( 16, 16, 0 )
...35 PFDs found
...GLW_ChoosePFD failed
...35 PFDs found
...GLW_ChoosePFD failed
...failed to find an appropriate PIXELFORMAT
...restoring display settings
...WARNING: could not set the given mode (3)
...setting mode 3: 640 480 FS
...using colorsbits of 16
...calling CDS: ok
...created window@0,0 (640x480)
Initializing OpenGL driver
...getting DC: succeeded
...35 PFDs found
...GLW_ChoosePFD failed
...35 PFDs found
...GLW_ChoosePFD failed
...failed to find an appropriate PIXELFORMAT
...restoring display settings
...WARNING: could not set the given mode (3)
...shutting down QGL
...unloading OpenGL DLL
...assuming '3dfxvgl' is a standalone driver
...initializing QGL
...calling LoadLibrary( 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\3dfxvgl.dll' ): failed
...shutting down QGL
----- CL_Shutdown -----
RE_Shutdown( 1 )
-----------------------
GLW_StartOpenGL() - could not load OpenGL subsystem
i have downloaded the 3dfxvgl.dll and saved it to Windows/system32 but when i try to run the game it says error but very small square page that i can;t tell what is saying .. seems like empty page or something .. plz anybody knows what's goin on .. i have been readin for few days on this issue and now i am more confused then before plz helpme

some more info about my system!

System Info
Windows XP Professional

Vendor
Microsoft Corporation

Renderer
GDI Generic

Extensions
GL_EXT_bgra
GL_EXT_paletted_texture
GL_WIN_swap_hint

i have used a program called OpenGL Extensions Viewer for this info .. plz any help?

Core features

v1.1 (100 % - 7/7)
v1.2 (12 % - 1/8)
v1.3 (0 % - 0/9)
v1.4 (0 % - 0/15)
v1.5 (0 % - 0/3)
v2.0 (0 % - 0/9)
OpenGL driver version check (Current: 1.1.0, Latest known: 1.1.0):
Latest version of display drivers found

According the database, you are running the latest display drivers for your video card.
No ICD registry entry

The current OpenGL driver doesn't expose the SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows (NT)/CurrentVersion/OpenGLDrivers registry entry. Unable to detect the driver version, driver revision name and filename.
No hardware support

Your current video configuration DOES NOT support hardware accelerated OpenGL.
No compiled vertex array support

This may cause performance loss in some applications.
No paletted texture support

This may cause performance loss in some older applications.
No multitexturing support

No secondary color support

Some applications may not render polygon highlights correctly.
No S3TC compression support

No texture edge clamp support

This feature adds clamping control to edge texel filtering. Some programs may not render textures correctly (black line on borders.)
No vertex program support

This feature enables vertex programming (equivalent to DX8 Vertex Shader.) Some current or future OpenGL programs may require this feature.
No fragment program support

This feature enables per pixel programming (equivalent to DX9 Pixel Shader.) Some current or future OpenGL programs may require this feature.
No OpenGL Shading Language support

This may break compatibility for applications using per pixel shading.
No Frame buffer object support

This may break compatibility for applications using render to texture functions.
Few texture units found

This may slow down some applications using fragment programs or extensive texture mapping.
Extension verification:
GL_EXT_color_subtable was not found, but has the entry point glColorSubTableEXT

Open gl is for a voodoo chipset graphics card. You simply dont have the hardware to run something that old i expect.

Used to have loads of fun with that kinda stuff many many years ago.

You have a P III and xp pro, its going to be a d3d card. I very much doubt a system as new ish as yours will have a voodoo card in it. It would be easy to spot if you did have one as a majority of them were separate pci cards that had to be linked to your normal graphics card by a short 15pin lead.

As i said, they are very old technology so you wont be able to buy one either.

Having said that, i have 2 old voodoo cards that are both in working condition and have 1 in my pc at the moment. I managed to get the old game Carmageddon working pretty good in open gl but it did take a fair bit of time and patience to sort out.

rik said:
You have a P III and xp pro, its going to be a d3d card. I very much doubt a system as new ish as yours will have a voodoo card in it. It would be easy to spot if you did have one as a majority of them were separate pci cards that had to be linked to your normal graphics card by a short 15pin lead.

As i said, they are very old technology so you wont be able to buy one either.

Having said that, i have 2 old voodoo cards that are both in working condition and have 1 in my pc at the moment. I managed to get the old game Carmageddon working pretty good in open gl but it did take a fair bit of time and patience to sort out.

so what are you suggesting ..... do you think i can still play the game or no.. i am not sure what kind of video card i have though .. (totally lost in this )

thankyou verymuch for your reply :)

If you don't know how to find out what video card you have then you will have absolutely no chance of getting the game to work.

Please don't take offence at that, i just wanted to state it as plainly as possible. if you right click on your background and select properties then settings and it will say what your graphics card is there. Device manager will also tell you what your card is too.

rik said:
If you don't know how to find out what video card you have then you will have absolutely no chance of getting the game to work.

Please don't take offence at that, i just wanted to state it as plainly as possible. if you right click on your background and select properties then settings and it will say what your graphics card is there. Device manager will also tell you what your card is too.

it's ok i know i am a noob..

ok i went to setting and it says

Display:
Default Monitor on ATI technologies, Inc 3D RAGE PRO AGP 2x

False, OpenGL is a graphics library similar to Direct3D & is supported by all current 3D graphics cards. VooDoo cards used Glide, which has now disappeared.

Anyhow I doubt you could get Catsle Wolfenstein to work on that Rage Pro card unless we're talking about the very first Wolfenstein (which ran in software mode anyways).

Didou said:
False, OpenGL is a graphics library similar to Direct3D & is supported by all current 3D graphics cards. VooDoo cards used Glide, which has now disappeared.

Anyhow I doubt you could get Catsle Wolfenstein to work on that Rage Pro card unless we're talking about the very first Wolfenstein (which ran in software mode anyways).

so that means unless i buy a new video card i can't play wolfenstein .... or any other games like this one?

It's quite possible you can play Return to Castle Wolfenstein on that Rage Pro videocard as it's a very old, low OpenGL version game. It may not be zippy and there may be some artifacting, but I'd expect it may indeed run, if I'm not mistaken about what OpenGL extensions it absolutely needs.

Regardless though, if you're planning on keeping that dinosaur agp card, you should at least get the correct ATI drivers for it. Unfortunately, I cannot directly link to ATI's driver page since they have funky session timers, but I can direct you step-by-step how to get to them:
1) Go to www.ati.com
2) Click on "Customer Care" at the top
3) Click on "Drivers and Software" at the top/middle under Self-Service
4) Click on "Windows XP Drivers and Software" at the top.
5) Click on "RAGE" in the list
6) Click on "Windows XP Display Driver version 5.10.2600.6010" under the "RAGE PRO" section.
7) Click on WXP-J5-30-1-B02.EXE on the "Filename: WXP-J5-30-1-B02.EXE"

Once these are downloaded, you can refer to the Release Notes link on the same page for installation instructions. These do come with a basic OpenGL ICD, which your system does not currently have given it's using the Microsoft Software OpenGL ICD from your listout above.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back