Gmail doubles size limits for inbound attachments

Jos

Staff

Sending files over the Internet has gotten extremely simple with cloud storage services like Dropbox and Google Drive or specialized services like WeTransfer and many others. But sometimes email is just quicker and today Google is boosting the size of attachments you can receive through Gmail, for those who you need to get a file from point A to point B in as little steps as possible.

Specifically, users can now receive attachments as large as 50MB instead of 25MB, however you are still limited to 25MB file sizes whenever you are sending the email instead of receiving it. Google does highlight that anyone wishing to send out such attachments from its services can use Google Drive instead.

“Sending and receiving attachments is an important part of email exchanges. While Google Drive offers a convenient way to share files of any size, sometimes you need to receive large files as direct email attachments. So starting today, you will be able to receive emails of up to 50MB directly.”

The change is being rolled out immediately, and while cloud storage and file lockers are a much more convenient way of sharing files en masse, email is still a popular way to share files. Rival clients such as Outlook and Yahoo limit the attachments to 20MB and 25MB, respectively.

Permalink to story.

Google, be smart, let users upload and send whatever amount of info they want, that way they will reach their quota faster and you can sell the tiered drive space =P

It would be nice if you attach the files from the GDrive to actually attach them rather then sending a stupid link. The receiver just gets frustrated when they get stuck against permission. Of course the whole idea of sending them a file as attached is so that don't have to wait for permission!

If I can't send an e-mail over 25mb.... how do I expect to get one at 50mb??? Google I think you go this backwards or something.

If I can't send an e-mail over 25mb.... how do I expect to get one at 50mb??? Google I think you go this backwards or something.
Because not all of the email sent to you is made through a Google account? The same goes the other way around, you don't only send emails to google account...

Shame, often times I need to spend a few pictures along with text and email is by far the most convenient method. Have to do 3 or 4 emails with gmail and google drive ins't nearly as convenient.

Yeah .... I think they can do better if they want ......
But why would they, if other email providers won't accept those emails and will probably take some time for the user to upload an attachment only to see a daemon mail back.

"We're just going to be awesome at receiving large size attachments, but we want to let other services be awesome at sending large size attachments."

Back