gmail questions

By jlem
Aug 5, 2004
Post New Reply
  1. gmail question

I have been wanting to check out gmail but I can't find an invite anywhere. Everyone either wants you to pay them or send them naked pictures of yourself and so on. Anyone want to help out a fellow techspotter?
  2. ---agissi---

---agissi--- TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,383   +15

I would but they dont seem to be giving us invites to hand out anymore!!! Thats probably why.
  3. jlem

jlem Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 32

ah, well that sucks. I guess I took too long to get interested in this. :) Been too busy moving, working and in school. :) Thanks anyway.
  4. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

Check your email, buddy. :)
  5. MYOB

MYOB Newcomer, in training Posts: 527

People still get them to hand out?

Three or four times I've tried and failed to get one. Ah well, I can wait till it goes public...
  6. jlem

jlem Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 32

Thanks Rick. It's pretty slick, think I will move all my school stuff over to gmail so I can keep my other inboxes cleaned up a bit..

Do you know if when you search your emails if it will search attatchments too? I email a lot of code for school and work and it would be awsome if the search would go through the code too.

Edit:

MYOB, if I ever get invited from google I will send you one. They just added new browsers to the list of supported so perhaps they will now start invites again???
  7. MYOB

I never thought that whinging would get me one, but its worked. Thanks Rick!

Were you holding on to some or had you actually got some recently?
  8. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

I've been hanging on to some that Google sent me since I've signed up for just such an occasion. :)
  9. MYOB

I've now got some to pass out. Anyone want some?
  10. InsaneMonkeyBoy

InsaneMonkeyBoy Newcomer, in training Posts: 201

Is google really still going along with calling their new e-mail program g-mail?

I heard that the name had already been taken by another e-mail system.
  11. MYOB

its called gmail, its been running for quite a while so I doubt they'll be dropping the name

gmail.com was formerly the domain used by the webmail service offered by Garfield (the cartoon), but Google bought it.

12. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff Newcomer, in training Posts: 8,165

MYOB, if you have one to spare, I am not too proud to ask for one for myself.
    Thanks in advance.
  13. MYOB

PM me a name and an email adress, I have three left that I'm allocating to TS members (assuming they get them before midnight Irish time)
  14. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff Newcomer, in training Posts: 8,165

MYOB, you just got it.
    I am late because I just finished a battle with Windows Media Player 9 (I won, would not let that sucker getting the better of me!).
  15. MYOB

realblackstuff, invited
  16. InsaneMonkeyBoy

InsaneMonkeyBoy Newcomer, in training Posts: 201

Haha, cool a webmail service by Garfield. I'd never heard of that.

MYOB, if you have any invites left to spare. I would be very grateful if you could spare one.

Many Thanks
  17. MYOB

(as I've just said in a PM)

Sorry, all out now, but if I get another batch you're on the list.

I presume some others got some today though? Maybe some of the other GMail'ers here will have some to spare.
  18. smtkr

smtkr Newcomer, in training Posts: 138

I have some invites... your best bet would be to email though (use my listed email address).
  19. $oulo

$oulo Newcomer, in training Posts: 79

I have 4 if anyone wants one pm me your name(1st & last) and your e-mail address and I will get them to ya when I get home ;) HAHA I have offered them but everyone I know has one already :p 1st come 1st server I will go by times if I get more than 4 pm's
  20. me(who else?)

me(who else?) Newcomer, in training Posts: 433

I have 5 gmail invites for anybody on these great forums. I personally love GMail, except for the fact that it won't work with my Firefox...:dead:

edit: Forgot, PM me your email. Apparantly, Yahoo and Hotmail have bounced some requests, so if you don't get it, I'll get the invite back and send it to you again at a different account.
  21. ---agissi---

---agissi--- TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,383   +15

6 here, everyone got a ton all of a sudden :\
  22. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

That's odd, my account has worked with every Firefox version I've tried, from 0.7 to 0.9.3.
  23. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,745

I can't connect with Opera, I"m using Version 7.23 Build 3227.
  24. me(who else?)

me(who else?) Newcomer, in training Posts: 433

It may have something to do with the extensions I have installed. I have the Mouse Gestures and Tabbed Browsing. Do I need any plugins (like Java, etc) to use GMail?
  25. Mikael

Mikael Newcomer, in training Posts: 282

I have no problem using Gmail with Opera and Mozilla Firefox.

I also have a few invites if anyone wants to send me a PM. :)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.