Going crazy... WIN XP shuts down at log on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello
I am going crazy... I have a really bad laptop (Compaq 736EA) that has been acting out since the first day I bought it.
But this is a new one: this is what has been happening tonight...

1- I turn on my computer... The screen displays the compaq icon... and shuts down...

2- I turn on my computer... The screen displays the compaq icon... Then the Windows XP welcome screen and shuts down...

3- I turn on my computer... The screen displays the compaq icon... Then tell me I should start on safe mode... I click OK and the comp shuts down...

4- I turn on my computer... The screen displays the compaq icon... Then tell me I should start on safe mode... I click OK... The comp starts... after 2-3 minutes the comp shuts down...

:mad:

Is this a known software problem... the troobleshooting steps from compaq and microsoft did no good...

Could this be a hardware problem... I have just gotten back my computer from the repair shop, they had to open i to fix a power connector problem...

Any insight? :confused:

Gila

Sounds like you may still have a problem with the power. Shutdowns like that can occur from insufficient power, and since you say it had a problem with a power connector, this would lead me to look at that as a possible problem.

Here's a couple things to try:
Remove any extra strips of Ram.
Remove the laptop battery and boot straight of the power cord...

Honestly, I would try the AC converter board. I work on Compaq laptops and usually its a sore spot for those laptops.

loose screw

so i went back to the guy who had fixed the power connector problem, he re-opened the machine and said there was a loose screw on the motherboard... :rolleyes:
he had to send it back to his technician... so i hope this really is what caused the problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back