TechSpot

Going crazy... WIN XP shuts down at log on

By gv0410
Dec 22, 2003
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello
    I am going crazy... I have a really bad laptop (Compaq 736EA) that has been acting out since the first day I bought it.
    But this is a new one: this is what has been happening tonight...

1- I turn on my computer... The screen displays the compaq icon... and shuts down...

2- I turn on my computer... The screen displays the compaq icon... Then the Windows XP welcome screen and shuts down...

3- I turn on my computer... The screen displays the compaq icon... Then tell me I should start on safe mode... I click OK and the comp shuts down...

4- I turn on my computer... The screen displays the compaq icon... Then tell me I should start on safe mode... I click OK... The comp starts... after 2-3 minutes the comp shuts down...

:mad:

Is this a known software problem... the troobleshooting steps from compaq and microsoft did no good...

Could this be a hardware problem... I have just gotten back my computer from the repair shop, they had to open i to fix a power connector problem...

Any insight? :confused:

Gila
  2. StormBringer

StormBringer TS Rookie Posts: 2,871

Sounds like you may still have a problem with the power. Shutdowns like that can occur from insufficient power, and since you say it had a problem with a power connector, this would lead me to look at that as a possible problem.
  3. vassil3427

vassil3427 TS Rookie Posts: 822

Here's a couple things to try:
    Remove any extra strips of Ram.
    Remove the laptop battery and boot straight of the power cord...
  4. RepairTech

RepairTech TS Rookie

Honestly, I would try the AC converter board. I work on Compaq laptops and usually its a sore spot for those laptops.
  5. gv0410

gv0410 TS Rookie Topic Starter

loose screw

so i went back to the guy who had fixed the power connector problem, he re-opened the machine and said there was a loose screw on the motherboard... :rolleyes:
    he had to send it back to his technician... so i hope this really is what caused the problem...
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.