going to classics..Quake 2 installation program

Status
Not open for further replies.

antradox

im trying to go back to classsics,

i wanted to install quake 2 on my comp and play it, but the comp wouldnt let me
it keep saying about not supporting my windows type (which is XP)

a friend of mine thought that i might have service pack 2 installed, (bcoz he has XP too, and it works on his), but we've looked it up in the add/remove programs panel and there's no SP2.

what do you guys reckon the problem is?

Nope - if I remember correctly there are serious issues with trying to perform the install. If you have a machine with an older OS on it (or you could set up a VM) and install it there you can simply copy the folder over to your XP install and it will run fine.

so what is this serious problem?

is my XP lacking something? Does my friend who has XP (which Q2 worked on) have something that i dont have?

hmmm.....would it help if i asked Q2 guys at their website or something?

Hmmm.. full retail Quake2 CD has no issues installing on XP. I've installed it here (along with the expansion packs) a few times and on both XP Pro and XP Home... nada.

Is this is the real-deal, retail CD or some demo/temporary version? Original, retail CD's? If so, as previous poster queried- what is the full error message, how far do you get, etc.etc.

The problem is that Quake II is designed for windows 9x, which is FAT32, while XP is NTFS (Ussually). Once installed you should right click the shortcut and select compatibility then one of the operating systems that Quake II recommends. I would choose 98/Me.

it might come up with an error message that includes an BAT fil;e name in it, its because that file does not exist, its in the repair folder under C:\WINDOWS\system32

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back