TechSpot

Good 11-14 inch ultrabooks? And e-book readers?

By dbzlotrfan
Sep 14, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. I am somewhat in need of a new laptop to take notes at school with . . . I also want something like a kindle (or reasonable sized tablet(?)) for e-books

Ultrabook:
    • 11-14 inches
    • 2-~4 pounds
    • I have a little bit of scoliosis . . . so not too heavy a system, but not too light that I hate the thing anyway.
    • I may want to do some light gaming on it (anything from about 2007 or before shouldn't be much of a issue, should it?)
    • Less than $550 if possible (I'm sure it isn't considering the SSD)
    • Good keyboard, no Chiclet sort of keys (?) - I somewhat hate and slower on typing on flatter keys.
    • I do NOT want an optical drive
    • What else should I consider?
    Anyone of experience with the Acer Aspire S5-391-6836 it seems like a nice ultrabook, seems to have a good processor (i5). For the price it seems like it should come with at lest some bit of hard drive space (not only a SSD) or more RAM. It's light enough, good enough processor, decent GPU, if it's still purchasable in a few weeks/months I may try to get this.

E-book reader
    • Large enough storage (4+ Gigs I'd think)
    • Reasonable screen size (5+ inches?)
    • Reasonable battery life
    • What else should I consider?
    • I hope to use it for school textbooks so I don't have to lug those around, and at night before I go to sleep I can read some.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.