TechSpot

Good barebones pc?

By wibtr
Sep 11, 2007
  1. Anyone know a decent barebones PC I can start with? Just something with the basics like motherboard, power supply, drives, etc.. So I can just add my own memory, hard drive, etc.. I would prefer an AMD 64X2. I was thinking of building my own from scratch, but dont really want to mess around with the more techincal stuff, so I heard a barebones would be a good idea. Any advice?
    Or should I just put one together at IBUYPOWER or something?

2. 2Fast4U

2Fast4U TS Rookie

How much do you want to spend is a better question? Here is a link to a website that has a whole bunch of barebone set ups that are extremely good and have a bunch of motherboard + AMD 64X2 set ups. If you are upgrading for gaming purposes I recommend on getting a motherboard that is SLI ready and a AMD dual core running no less then 2.8GHz. The AMD 64X2 6000 which is pushing 3.0GHz each is a solid set up. Click this link!

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_tlc.asp?CatId=31&name=Barebone-Kits

3. wibtr

wibtr TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 90

4. 2Fast4U

2Fast4U TS Rookie

5. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

We have a lot of happy customers who purchased the SystemMax and other barebones units of TigerDirect. Just be careful you don't get one of the debranded HP, Compaq or eMachines TigerDirect sometimes sells.

6. wibtr

I dont even know what SLI means. I'm going to need 2 graphics cards?

7. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,745

You won't NEED 2, but it is an option for increased gaming performance.

Given that you're not sure what it is, I wouldn't worry about it :)

8. 2Fast4U

2Fast4U TS Rookie

Just like AMDX2 means you have two processors running at the same time instead of one, SLI means you can run two graphic cards at the same time instead of one. You can run one graphic card on a SLI motherboard but incase you ever want to push your computer to it's full capabilities you will have a motherboard that is capable of handling two graphic cards now instead of one. If you see a motherboard that has the term PCI in it that means you can only run one graphic card instead of two which SLI can.

9. wibtr

Thanks for the info. So that comes with a good motherboard? Cause I heard a lot of these barebones cheap out on the mother board, and to watch out for that..

10. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

You can search for reviews on these boards, just as you can any others. If there is no information online, avoid the board.

11. wibtr

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.