Good card for vista gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

madman_ncfc

Hi guys i'm looking for some advice today to help me get my current system to be good for gaming on vista.

The system is
Windows Vista 64bit Ultimate Edition
ASUS A8N-SLI SE
AMD Athlon 3500 64bit Processor(single)
3GB RAM mixed 2x1GB 2x512MB
GeForce 7300GT (to be upgraded)
160GB IDE Hard Drive

my problem is that when i upgraded my computer to windows vista i found that it ran OK maybe a little slow and i was happy with it running.
the problems began when i tried to play FIFA 07 as you might expect it used to run max res max detail with no lag and work fine.
Now i am on vista it doesn't and is very laggy.
BF2142 used to run on the highest with only very minimal lag but now i have had to reduce the resolution to 1024x768 ands the detail to medium to get it to run with no lag.
Anyway i though the problem was ram so i upgraded but there hasn't been an improvement in anything really so that obviously wasnt the reason for the poor performance.
So what i was wondering is what good graphics cards are there for gaming on vista my budget is about £150-£200 but i would prefer it to be closer to the £150 mark.
Also i would prefer the card to be by NVidia because my board doesnt support dual PCI with ATi cards
Another question would be is that the thing that would improve performance or is it something else.
Any help greatly Appreciated
Chris

One suggestion. Take out the 2 512MB RAM sticks, then put the 1GB sticks into either slots 1 and 3 or slots 2 and 4. You will have less RAM, but it will run at 2x the speed because of dual channel.

Try a 7900GS. It's worlds better than your 7300GT. If you can afford it, a 8800GTS either 640 or 320 MB would be much better still.

Hi thanks for the suggestion i just tried it but for some reason whenever i tried one of those two configurations my computer booted up with the BIOS beeping with the codes for a RAM error so i just put them with the two sizes on different channels I.E blue for 1GB and black for 512MB.
So you reckon that the RAM might be causing problems?
As for the card i will look at those options and probably buy one very soon.
Thanks
Chris

I mean, take out both 512 MB modules, and just leave the 2 1GB sticks in there. Put them in slots that are the same color.

Hi yeah i did that before but whenever i tried to turn the computer back on it beeped and wouldn't start or turn the screen on.
Other news just ordered the 512MB version of the 7900GS
Thanks again
Chris

Ok then ive had a go with the 512MB 7900GS it is now running with 2GB in two slots dont think its dual channel but seems to be no slower than when i had the 2 512MBs in there with it mayby a bit faster
BF2142 is now high detail minimal to no lag so thats excelent as it struggeled on medium before for some annoying reason FIFA 07 is still runnign badly though dunno why mayby EA will release a patch or something.
Anyway thanks for your help MetalX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back