Good Computer Speakers with 5.1 Surround?

GhostRyder

Ok title says it all, as far as speakers go I really never pay attention to whats best or whats a good deal until recent times and im not really sure whats the best options. Im really looking for some nice surround sound 5.1 audio speaker sets (Money is not a problem, but I would want to spend no more than lets say 400 and less if possible). Im really trying to optimize everything for BF4 and that's the last thing im really looking for. Does anyone have any good advice on sets to pick, I was looking at these Logitech Z906 set, but was not sure because I had heard mixed reviews on them. I really wanna optimize the full power and outputs of my sound card as possible (Meaning no single, dual, or triple port hookups, I want full head on surround sound).

Any help is appreciated!

Those speakers you linked are the new version, however the older one Z5500 is a higher quality system (if you can find it). There's not too many 5.1 PC systems floating around.

What's your audio card? I don't see it on your profile. If it supports Dolby Digital Live encoding, you can purchase a home theatre system that supports DDL decoding to have one heck of an audio system. :)

Its this one, like I said ive never really paid attention to sound cards because it never was high on my list. My friend gave this to me because he decided he could not use it Link. I was planning on just sticking with the integrated one on the Crosshair V-Z before I got this and still getting a high end sound system, but now with this, I feel forced lol because I wanna use its power.

Ive heard the same thing now from 3 friends (One of which has those Z5500 set) that those new ones are not nearly as good as the previous model (Which blows my mind lol).

Oh and yeah I didn't add it to the profile yet because I had just got it over a week ago and installed it more for looks (ive hooked up to it of course, but I have not really noticed a difference, but I don't have a super high Audio system for my computer other than my triton headphones).

What audio card do yo have? It may be worth it to just get a card with 7.1 since there are more speaker systems that support it.

Read some of the Newegg reviews of the Creative sound card. People usually mention the sound systems they are using.

I tried that and saw a few recommendations, but nothing that really looked what I was looking for in a sound system. I just cant decide because none of them seem to output or hook up the way I want to. I want some with more like a total of close to 500 watts and at least 5.1 and most that I looked at are under 100 or at like 150 range. I guess im just being too picky, but I just cant seem to find a wide variety for some reason, maybe im looking in the wrong spot, but I seem to keep coming back to those Logitech z906 on every place I look or the previous model ones.

You're in luck - it supports DDL! :D

ddl.png

Buy a <$500 home theatre system (Yamaha, etc, better brands than a generic 'Samsung slimline') and connect to PC via optical cable.

Depends on your room layout too, don't want something TOO powerful. Either way, your options are:
1. Analogue connection using the 3.5mm headphone jacks x3, standard.
2. Optical output on PC, if the receiver supports DDL decoding.

Well I have enough room for a decent setup (I don't want massive speakers but was hoping for a 5 speaker with a sub system). I just want some high output to use lots of power for when im gaming just to make some walls shake at explosions and stuff. But I don't want a giant receiver either, I have one already that's a Yamaha 100Watt system Optically hooked up to my T.V. and game system, I want a specific speaker one for my room.

It's personal choice now. Read reviews on the sound quality, since your connection methods are okay.

I'd personally go with a $300 or so dedicated amp + speakers. The amp is large, but it's got endless connectivity options etc..

Cool thanks guys, im going to take a look and see if I cant get a few choices at least to ask yall about more than just the Logitech.

Ok Guys, thought I would update you on what I finally decided. After much looking I just could not justify the Logitech set so I thought I might get that older version since more people recommend it over the new one. But I could not justify the prices of a used set (It was selling for around what it cost new?) So I decided to go for a nice system that just has an optical out and see what I could find, so I bought this because I got it on sale.

This is just a link to the one I got, not where I bought it from, but I got it for about 150 tax and shipped.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-HT-EM45-Theater-System-package/dp/B0084FUMX8

It has more watts than I need, and its got good reviews around so I thought it would be a good solution. I will know of course once it gets here lol.

Ok so I thought I would update as I have installed the surround sound system and tested it in-games and movies.

The Samsung system I bought exceeded my expecations and has worked very well. At first I was a bit skeptical on setting it up and figuring out the procedure for using the Optical out on it because its a Blu-ray 3D player/receiver that handles everything. But once I figured it out, man I was impressed with the sound quality in BF3 and just doing normal videos. To say the least, I am glad I went and got surround sound 1000watt system as I can shake the room now playing BF3 :)

Thank you guys for your help!!!

I have the z5500 as well as a high quality home theater system. If you don't want to spend a lot on a home theater system, the z5500 is a great set. The sound quality is great in all aspects and it has optical inputs as well.

Back