Good Free Antivirus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesW

It has been a couple years now since I ran the 8-step virus removal process, and both of my free trials of Avast! and Avira have expired, and I was wondering what is the next best free antivirus software I can download? Links/descriptions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

yea Avast and Avira are two of the best free solutions, so just re-register. i've used both but i vouch for Avast a bit more because Avira Free Edition let me down once or twice. may have been a fluke but so far Avast 4 and 5 have been solid.

Avira and Avast have already been recommended. But I would like to add one comment:

A system needs to be protected by layers of security. An antivirus program alone is not enough. A firewall should be added, along with at least 2 antimalware programs. Each type of program has it's job. For instance: if there is spyware on the system, the AV program usually won't remove it. And on the other han, spyware/adware (antimalware) programs won't remove a Virus or a Worm.

This is why you need 'layers.' And a firewall can block an IP trying to admit malware through a port.

Anther most important thing I like to remind people of is that the user is the first line of security. This means that no matter what or how many security programs are on the system, if the user doesn't practice safe surfing, the system can and usually does get infected.

i've been using comodo internet security for a few years on 3 computers. really happy with it, but recently i noticed that cmdagent is busy more than i feel comfortable with...ie to the point of slowing down the flow.

also found comodo was quite aggressively preventing access to some files. topped by a nasty experience trying to completely uninstall it

not meant as a criticism, because it is still doing a good job on two other machines

tried avira lately...also has a real time monitoring process...will have to see how it goes

any opinions on this?..obviously security software must have some presence, but nobody wants a firewall / antivirus that dampens the computing experience

On different Windows installations, I use one of these:
- Avast + Comodo firewall
- Avira + Comodo firewall
- Comodo AV + firewall
The last choice is mostly for testing purposes, because I don't like suites. In case of some issues, it's better to have different AV and different firewall, so I can easier pinpoint the problem to one, or another. In case of a suite, I'll never know.

Although the question only asked about antivirus programs, it should be noted that one should have at least 2 antimalware programs for spyware and adware also.

I'm using Kaspersky antivirus, I was naive to think it was enough to keep you safe. So i've added the recommended softwares from the 8-step series.
My Kaspersky is expiring soon, do you guys think it is a sound move to buy another year of license? Or should I try out the free antivirus that's being recommended here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back