good PSU for 8800

Status
Not open for further replies.

SK33TAST1C

aight, so im gonna be upgrading my computer after intel's price cut, but i was told that Hiper's powersupplies aren't very good, and i was going to be getting one of those. will this powersupply meet the demands of my new build, and is raidmax good for powersupplies?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152026

Intel Core 2 Duo e6850
EVGA 8800GTS (possibly gtx)
2gb DDR 2 800 Corsair RAM (possibly 4gb)
Asus DVD burner
250gb 7200 RPM Western Digital Hard Drive

no it wont if your going to put the 8800 in there or a 8800gtx your in time going to get a second one add to you box. save yourself the time and get a 1000w. secondly just spring for the quad core dude... look their going to go down by the end of this months when amd releases their's. any most def go wiht a cool 100w better safe than sorry

i won't be getting a 2nd graphics card becuase my motherboard isn't SLI because i will not buy a 2nd graphics card, so i see no need to pay extra for an SLI motherboard. considering that i'm limited to 1 graphics card, i think 680watt should be enough, and i won't be hooking anything else up to my comptuer that won't be independetly receiving its own power, so i don't see why 680 isn't enough. i just posted to check myself after i found out that Hiper sux ***. also, why would you say i should get the quad core? i know that the e6850 and q6600 will be priced exactly the same after the price cut, but there simply aren't many applications that utilize dual-core, let alone quad core. i know some new games like crysis and supreme commander will, but my CPU isn't going to be the bottleneck there, its going to be my graphics card, even if i have an 8800gtx, so there's no need to make my computer run hotter if there's no applications that are going to make use of those extra 2 cores. i'd rather run nice and cool with the opportunity for some major overclocking than with a useless, although admittedly awesome, quadcore.

im not even going to be running two video cards, just one 8800, could be either gts or gtx, im not sure yet. 680 should be able to handle that right?

The 8800GTX under load still draws under 300W (like 260 or 270). The C2D draws what 65W? You don't need a 600+ Watt PSU to run these things.

I've got an 8800GTS (320MB), a C2D 6400, 2 gigs of RAM, 2 HDs, and 2 DVD burners in a system with an Enermax Noisetaker II 485W PSU and have no problems.

Who said Hipers are bad? Hipers are very, VERY good. I highly recommend them. My Hiper 480W can take on alot, and it's very quiet.

I have the Raidmax power supply you were looking at. I can confirm that it has very solid rails. The lowest the 12V rail went, over a 24 hour burn in test, was 11.85V and its average was 11.90V. It's max was 11.98. Very solid rail. Now I would like to add that the 11.85V occurred during the Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion.

Go here and find out your wattage requirements: http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

I commend you for choosing eVGA, they are the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back