Google acquihires photo/video backup service Odysee, folds it into Google+

By Shawn Knight
Feb 9, 2015
Post New Reply
  1. Google has acquired the maker of Android and iOS app Odysee, a service that allows users to automatically back up full quality photos and videos on their home computer in addition to storing a copy in the cloud for added convenience.

Read more
  2. Acquihires?
  3. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Evangelist Posts: 1,373   +310

Acquired or acquihires? Clearly you meant acquired right? as acquihires isnt in the article... just the title... or am I wrong?
  4. Wow, way to butcher your headline spelling. Great read though.
  5. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,352   +1,947

It caught my attention as well, it might be a good way to spark some interest in a not too terribly interesting article.
    Didn't Google also 'acquihire' Picasa as well some time back which was essentially the same thing? It looks like they are just killing off the opposition which should be pretty easy for them considering their immense firepower.
    Nah, not for me, I'd rather store my own pics myself. It's bad enough they know the colour of the underpants I'm wearing right now, I don't want to have to pay them to look at my photos as well.
    I don't think I'll point out to the readers that the author also misspelled 'Odyssey' as 'Odysee' as well, I don't want to spoil his pub lunch. :D
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  6. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

Google ruined Snapped after acquiring them... I don't get Google's mentality: they are acquiring then killing all these companies just to integrate them into Google+, a service that just can't compete...
  7. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,589   +278

Acquire + hi-res... article about a service that allows you to back up full quality photos(hi-res) to your computer and cloud. Think Shawn was just having a little fun :)
  8. Jos

Jos TechSpot Staff Posts: 2,650   +87

Actually it's a blend of acquire and hire, when companies buy another for their talent (not necessarily their product), which seems to be the case here as the existing Odysee app will be shut down on February 23.