TechSpot

Google acquires Nest Labs for $3.2 billion in cash

By Shawn Knight
Jan 13, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Google on Monday announced that they have entered into an agreement to purchase Nest Labs, Inc., makers of the popular Nest Learning Thermostat and the recently-released Protect smoke detector, for $3.2 billion in cash. In the world of startup acquisitions,...

Read more

2. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,106   +1,522

That ruins the thought of using Nest products for me.

captainawesome and JC713 like this.
  3. Vrmithrax

Vrmithrax TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,286   +232

Interesting, particularly when you consider that Nest Labs was formed by former Apple employees... Guess the big fruit company got beat to the punch on this one?

4. Yeah, just beating Apple to the punch has got to be work an extra billion.

5. cliffordcooley

Being ex-Apple may have been a closed door to Apple. I know I might be a little reluctant to go back to a company, I spent time getting away from.

JC713 likes this.
  6. Vrmithrax

Vrmithrax TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,286   +232

Very true, hadn't thought of it in that light! I just sort of assumed it wasn't a horrible relationship between Nest and Apple, since the Nest products are featured prominently in Apple Stores and have traditionally been touted as a very Apple-ish niche product. Have to wonder how fast that will change?

7. insect

insect TS Booster Posts: 214   +54

Now if only they would make them worth the cost. I can't use a Nest with my HVAC, though I would love to. Can't control my humidifier, dehumidifier, variable fan speed, and many other features :( My current thermostat is difficult to use, not wifi, doesn't predict the weather, and is kind of ugly.

One day I will get the best of both worlds!

8. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,021   +913

I hope Google doesnt ruin this great company. They have potential and Google has a chance to be part of something big as long as they dont screw it up.

Exactly.

cliffordcooley likes this.
  9. Will google force me to join Google+ so I can change my temperature?

FLWrd and davislane1 like this.
  10. cliffordcooley

lol
    Home appliances that would require a Google or Microsoft account to operate. I think I will pass on the dependency of needing an account with any company for such self-sufficient task.

11. VitalyT

VitalyT TS Evangelist Posts: 1,927   +569

Just how many more good ideas will Google try to swallow before it chokes, I wonder?...

Their monopoly is spreading like a virus...

12. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,174   +761

Lol. "Google has a chance to be part of something big". You must mean Nest has a chance to be part of something big.
    Google didn't become the company they are today by being dunces.

13. Careful with how you throw around the word "monopoly". In what areas what you consider Google to be a monopoly? Learning thermostats? Ever heard of Honeywell?

14. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,686   +86

Google going run adsense on these nest devices next. Or even link Nest to your Android Smartphone or tablet instead.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.