Google addresses top 10 myths associated with Glass

Shawn Knight

Staff member

google glass google glass myths

In a recent post on Google+, the Glass team addressed the top 10 myths related to the futuristic augmented reality visor in an effort to simply "clear the air." Privacy concerning Glass is no doubt a hot topic as evident by the fact that five of the top 10 myths have to do with the headset’s on-board camera.

Many of the most common concerns – that it is the ultimate distraction from the real world, that it is always on and recording and that Glass is only for those privileged enough to afford it – are discussed.

For example, regarding the myth that Glass marks the end of privacy, the team points to the late 19th century when people declared an end to privacy with the arrival of cameras. At the time, cameras were banned in parks, at national monuments and on beaches. The same concerns were voiced when the first cell phone cameras hit the scene.

There are more cameras in the wild now than ever before and in 10 years, there will be even more – with or out without Glass, Google notes.

The list comes after a series of setbacks and bad publicity in recent months. Glass made news late last year when a California woman was issued a ticket for wearing the headset while driving. The wearable was also allegedly a key factor in an assault and robbery in San Francisco last month.

All of this is on top of the fact that more than a dozen bars and restaurants in the city have implemented a “no Glass” policy.

Permalink to story.

I see nothing wrong with filing assault charges against people who punch Google Glass uses without provocation. Also, nothing wrong with suing for property damages should the glasses get damaged. Have fun spending thousands of dollars on lawyers and expensive technology that you won't even get to use.

People will always fear new technology , its just how we are, in 10 years everyone will be wearing them and we can be scared of a whole new device

Right because we should always hit people when we dont understand them or something theyre doing
youre a smart fella

Just because the introduction of a technology, that looks vaguely similar, in the past hasn't caused major problems, doesn't mean a new technology won't cause them. Google Glass has been designed to be the camera that hand-held cameras and mobile phones can't be: always on, no operation required.

If they are defending it, it's because they know it's wrong.

I see nothing wrong with wearing google glass...I also see nothing wrong with someone punching someone wearing them......
That should be fine, it's not as though you'll damage their lenses or anything. 'Glass' is a misnomer, they should be called Google Frames or something along those lines. Maybe it's just me but I thought spectacles were supposed to have lenses.

Back