TechSpot

Google aims at the enterprise with new Chromebook for Work features, $50/year subscription

1. In an effort to attract more businesses to Chromebooks, Google has announced several new features and a new pricing scheme for enterprise Chromebook users.

Read more

2. Yay, more mediocrity!!!
    What I don't understand though, is if you have $50 per year to spend on a laptop that's primarily cloud based, you will probably have to fork over extra cash elsewhere for more storage space, or other non included functionality, then I'm sure you could just as easily purchase a cheaper variant of the many traditional laptops available. I mean, the Chromebook is hardly a powerhouse to compare to anyway. Now especially since traditional laptops are so cheap these days, one has to seriously question why you would entertain this proposal by Google. Most companies have a 2 to 3 year, even up to 4 year, refresh cycle on hardware, so the $100 - $200 over that time frame would easily purchase a traditional laptop upfront. Since you would have options like Office365 to keep things cost effective for a company, especially in bulk, then those extra for Chromebooks you would most likely have to buy would also be offset by this reason. Now factor in the HUGE array of traditional desktop applications it could run, and you begin to see this offer for what it is. A waste of time. Especially for around the same price, maybe a smidge more, a much beefier alternative is available.

3. aspleme

aspleme TS Enthusiast Posts: 56

Where are you getting your information from? Lots of companies are only just now getting rid of machines running XP... I've also done a fair bit of price monitoring... and laptops, even cheap ones, don't come for 100-200 dollars. Google alternatives to Microsoft applications can reduce or even remove the need for Microsoft Office 365, which is a hundred a year no matter what your device is. Furthermore, especially for specific business use, companies usually don't require a HUGE array of traditional applications... and those that do are often older or outdated... and in much need of updating.

4. aspleme

aspleme TS Enthusiast Posts: 56

Furthermore, a lot of business computers are required to log into the business' cloud server to access data or applications anyway. So the complaint about chromebooks being cloud based is moot.