TechSpot

Google aims to acquire equity stake Virgin Galactic's space business

By Shawn Knight
Jun 12, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Google's apparently been struck with aerial fever. Fresh off the heels of its $500 million acquisition of satellite imagery startup Skybox, the search giant is now reportedly interested in an investment of Galactic proportions.

Read more

2. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,387   +425

1.5% stake is about as close to nothing as you can get.

3. Geez, does Google want to be everywhere? Now just imagine one day this Virgin Galactic thing actually takes off, and you are shown Google Ads every 15 minutes on your inflight movies.

4. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,423   +822

I'm all for this. Anything that can bring the internet to the billions that are not fortunate enough to have it is a good thing as far as I'm concerned but if they give me free internet access I can put up with a few ad's. They have the money so why not put it to good use and make even more... It's what I'd do.

5. davislane1

davislane1 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,599   +628

I'll take a 1.5% stake in a company potentially worth multiple billions of dollars. One man's pocket lint, as they say...

6. Can we PELASE just put Richard Branson into orbit, and leave him there? Such an annoying grin.

7. IAMTHESTIG

IAMTHESTIG TS Enthusiast Posts: 423   +41

We really need a low-orbit commercial airliner. I'm tired of these long flights to get anywhere. Now that the Concorde is gone we need something to take its place, and blow IT out of the water in terms of speed. If I could hop on a commercial space craft and get from the US to Japan in an hour, that would save a ton of time, not to mention anguish.

I don't really like this internet for everyone push... I can't help but feel there is a strong ulterior motive to it.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.