TechSpot

Google aims to fight inbox clutter with tabbed categories

By Jos
May 29, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Google is rolling out a major update for Gmail designed to automatically organize your inbox through smart categories for things such as social updates and promotions. These categories appear as large tabs atop your inbox on desktops or a sliding...

Read more

2. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,018   +912

I dont have this on either my desktop gmail or my iOS one. There is no iOS update yet.

3. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,683   +86

Yeah I have this running.. Time will tell though how it goes well or not so well?

4. JC713

How did you get it running?

5. asdf

asdf TS Rookie

Haaa, funny Google is going to copy Outlook.com for Gmail. I have been using categories for while now.

6. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,119   +723

Is this like a Folders concept only we're not allowed to make our own we have to use the ones they give us?

7. bugejakurt

bugejakurt TS Booster Posts: 135

To enable the new feature if it has not been enabled automatically in your GMail inbox, go to the wrench icon at the top right of your page, underneath your Google avatar, and click on "Configure Inbox". Then press OK and this feature will be available for you.

8. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,090   +1,519

Nice!
    Instead of a single box of clutter because people don't manually manage their Inbox, there will be 5 independent categories of clutter.

9. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,174   +761

I don't see any wrench icon, just a gear or sprocket and there's nothing about "configure inbox" in the drop down menu. Maybe Google forgot all about me.

10. bugejakurt

bugejakurt TS Booster Posts: 135

Sorry not wrench but the gear icon. Within it I have a menu item "configure inbox". It seems that it has not been released for all users. Just wait and you'll see

11. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +91

In the video you can see they also updated the Android version.

12. HyperPete

HyperPete TS Rookie

That worked for me. Somehow, I don't like it, though. I have already created folders for my mail, this seems unecessary.

13. JC713

Thanks. It wasnt available yesterday for me.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.