Google aims to launch its own wireless service using Sprint and T-Mobile

By Shawn Knight
Jan 21, 2015
Post New Reply
  1. Last April, rumors surfaced that Google was interested in offering its own wireless service to customers living in areas serviced by Google Fiber. The search giant has since expanded and acted on those plans as it's reportedly hammering out a...

Read more
  2. So they're going to do something similar to what Ting is attempting to do by sometime in February. For a long time Ting have been using Sprint network but they are now in the process of using T-Mobile as well to provide service to GSM phones. This should be interesting to see how Google's services will be as a wireless provider.
  3. JakeT

JakeT TS Member Posts: 74   +20

More ways to track their users? They'll have unlimited access to our surfing now won't they?
  4. MoeJoe

MoeJoe TS Maniac Posts: 363   +174

Ting has already announced this type of deal.
    They've been offering Sprint since inception but now will partner with T-Mo as well - starting February.
    This broadens phone compatibility since both types of networks will be accessible and broadens the customer base since not all "areas" have good coverage in both arenas. In other words, if GSM reach is better in your home town, you can have Ting with a lot of different phones previously supported by AT&T and T-Mo. If CDMA is your thing, Ting has that covered. It's a Win-Win.

Makes sense ...
  5. MoeJoe

MoeJoe TS Maniac Posts: 363   +174

The real question is, will Google price their service at or below something as inexpensive as Metro PCS with unlimited usage...
  6. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,212   +174

I get that they could theoretically make what would seem like the merger between Sprint and T-Mobile, but aren't those carriers on different networks? (CDMA for Sprint, and GSM for T-Mobile.) How does battery life, and data effect such a phone when it plays with two carries on different frequencies?
  7. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,341   +1,939

I don't care just as long as it's free they're welcome to track me.
  8. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,341   +1,939

I hope we get Google fibre one of these centuries.
  9. misor

misor TS Evangelist Posts: 1,157   +195

I kow this is bad but is this codenamed 'Go-SpriTe'?
  10. RustyTech

RustyTech TS Guru Posts: 819   +385

...and don't forget about Republic Wireless and how they operate - by off loading as much as possible to WiFi. What does this mean? Well...just think of the $1b (or more) Google has invested in SpaceX's 4,000 satellites that will provide wireless internet to the entire world by 2020.
  11. Paul Greene

Paul Greene TS Rookie

The new nexus 6 is a GSM/CDMA enabled handset. Google laid their first fiber in Kansas City home of Sprint. Google already operates the highest quality VOIP system on the planet and
    already has a huge database of available numbers. Only 2 companies in the U.S. could buy Tmo and Sprint then layer in VOIP service. Do the math.... It's a very needed solution to an over regulated. highly competitive business. Good luck Verizon and AT&T.