Google and Levi's smart jacket for cyclists arrives this fall for $350

midian182

Staff member

Remember when Google’s Project Jacquard division introduced its wearable fabric technology at Google I/O a couple of years ago? The team used it in a smart denim jacket, dubbed the Levi’s Commuter Trucker Jacket, that was shown off last May. Now, we know when you can get your hands on one and how much they will cost.

Both Google and Levi’s promised that the jacket would be available in 2017. While it won’t make the original spring launch date, reps at this week’s SXSW revealed the wearable will go on sale this fall for $350.

The Jacquard division, part of Google’s Advanced Technology and Projects (ATAP) group, partnered with Levi’s to make the Commuter Trucker Jacket. The conductive fibers woven into the clothing lets you use part of a garment - in this case, it’s the left cuff on the sleeve - like a touchpad for your connected smartphone.

The Bluetooth attachment that clips on like a cufflink sends the inputs to a handset, so you can control your music, operate maps, answer calls, etc. just by touching the sleeve with your finger.

The jacket comes with a small, rechargeable battery that will reportedly last for two days, and you can customize your own gestures - swiping to the right could skip a music track, for example. Google is still looking at ways for third-party developers to contribute to the platform, so you’re limited to core functions for the time being.

Thankfully for something you’ll be wearing while cycling, the jacket can be washed, though you’ll need to remove the cufflink attachment first.

“We’ve been going through continuous consumer wear testing to refine the jacket and its abilities,” a Google spokesperson told The Verge. “We want to be sure we take the time to get it right and provide a great experience for people.

At $350, the jacket isn’t the cheapest, but it could appeal to cyclists who want a safe way of accessing their smartphone’s functions while traveling.

Permalink to story.

Wearing earbuds while cycling has to be about the dumbest thing anyone can do... and without a helmet. There are far cheaper and more humane methods to get yourself killed if that's your wish. You don't have to waste $350 while getting it done unless you want to go out looking stylish and cool, but a corpse wearing a ripped up and blood soaked expensive jacket isn't my idea of looking cool.

Last edited:
Didn't wearing denim jackets go out of fashion like 20 years ago? Unless your a deadbeat rocker or stuck in the 90s that is, denim on denim should just go and die in a dark dank hole somewhere.

I thought it had some safety features like included airbag or something of the sort, it's just a freaking jacket with a sensor... it seems to use the headset commands are too mainstream for the cool guys.

Remember when Google’s Project Jacquard division introduced its wearable fabric technology (...) ?

I was under the impression that we already had the technology for wearable fabric, for quite a while now... Man, was I ever wrong.

Gotta give it to the good folk at google. Wearable fabric! What will they think of, next?

Maybe fabric that'll keep you from arriving at work as a sweaty, smelly mess, after commuting on a bike... Nah, who am I kidding. That's the whole point!

Wearing earbuds while cycling has to be about the dumbest thing anyone can do... and without a helmet. There are far cheaper and more humane methods to get yourself killed if that's your wish.

I'm all for earbuds while cycling. Sure its dangerous, but what isnt?! The key is having the volume low enough that you can still hear cars passing by, walk ways beeping and most importantly HORNS/SIRENS

Didn't wearing denim jackets go out of fashion like 20 years ago? Unless your a deadbeat rocker or stuck in the 90s that is, denim on denim should just go and die in a dark dank hole somewhere.

Don't forget about Hipsters!

I'm all for earbuds while cycling. Sure its dangerous, but what isnt?! The key is having the volume low enough that you can still hear cars passing by, walk ways beeping and most importantly HORNS/SIRENS
Rather keep them for the turbo trainer or rollers indoors. As nice as it is to listen to music while training and working out, it's far better idea for you to forget them at home while on out the road. If you're cycling outdoors on a proper, dedicated cycle route, great, wear them by all means.

Rather keep them for the turbo trainer or rollers indoors. As nice as it is to listen to music while training and working out, it's far better idea for you to forget them at home while on out the road. If you're cycling outdoors on a proper, dedicated cycle route, great, wear them by all means.

I use one on and another one off, just to have the background music to sync into more than anything while I go around.

What an absolute waste of money when there are thousands of people out there struggling to live on an income of less than $350 month.

Back