TechSpot

Google awarded patent for alternative unlocking patterns in Android

By Shawn Knight
Aug 6, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Android users have enjoyed quick access to frequently-used apps via the lock screen for some time. This allows you to pop into any given app in a few taps as possible – granted you don’t have a pattern lock on...

Read more

2. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,027   +913

I always liked that way of unlocking.

3. Dimitriid

Dimitriid TS Rookie

And what good will that do if Obama can just veto any injunction anyway provided it's against campaign contributors like Apple

Zoner1501 likes this.
  4. ET3D

ET3D TechSpot Paladin Posts: 981   +31

Another bullshit patent. The patent system really needs to stop granting patents for UI design.

Timonius likes this.
  5. They didn't patent UI design, but a way how it unlocks.

6. RH00D

RH00D TS Addict Posts: 412   +106

Another stupid patent. Don't act like its "okay" just because a company you like is doing it.

I'd wager only about 10% of software patents that have been awarded in the last 20 years could actually be justified. The other 90% is just as ridiculous as Apple's swipe to unlock and this nonsense.

7. NeurotechHD

NeurotechHD TS Rookie Posts: 38   +13

Not sure how Apple can lose its patent for Swipe To Unlock, then Google gets this patent confirmed. What is going on? I wish a tech website would investigate this as if they were journalists and explain what is happening here.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.