TechSpot

Google awarded patent for alternative unlocking patterns in Android

By Shawn Knight
Aug 6, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Android users have enjoyed quick access to frequently-used apps via the lock screen for some time. This allows you to pop into any given app in a few taps as possible – granted you don’t have a pattern lock on...

Read more

2. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

I always liked that way of unlocking.

3. Dimitriid

Dimitriid TS Booster Posts: 33   +34

And what good will that do if Obama can just veto any injunction anyway provided it's against campaign contributors like Apple

Zoner1501 likes this.
  4. ET3D

ET3D TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,152   +66

Another bullshit patent. The patent system really needs to stop granting patents for UI design.

Timonius likes this.
  5. They didn't patent UI design, but a way how it unlocks.

6. Another stupid patent. Don't act like its "okay" just because a company you like is doing it.

I'd wager only about 10% of software patents that have been awarded in the last 20 years could actually be justified. The other 90% is just as ridiculous as Apple's swipe to unlock and this nonsense.

7. NeurotechHD

NeurotechHD TS Rookie Posts: 61   +19

Not sure how Apple can lose its patent for Swipe To Unlock, then Google gets this patent confirmed. What is going on? I wish a tech website would investigate this as if they were journalists and explain what is happening here.