Google Chrome goes 64-bit, improves Windows font rendering

By Scorpus
Aug 26, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Google has been working on a 64-bit version of the Chrome browser for some time now, and with the release of Chrome 37 today, a stable build of the 64-bit browser has been released into the wild. For those of you...

Read more
    chip igmo likes this.
  2. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,107   +1,376

I have the latest version 37.0.2062.94 of Chrome, but it is still running as 32-bit. Why is that?
  3. fl21289

fl21289 TS Booster Posts: 57   +37

4. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

Weird how it is a standalone download. I would expect them to default it. I guess they still want to refine it.

Don't have to be so rude about it bro xD.
  5. Punkid

Punkid TS Guru Posts: 420

Sad, scrolling and overall performance is still quite poor compared to IE11
  6. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,550   +594

I've been using 64-bit Chrome for months. It's been readily available to anyone who wants it. Why the big announcement now?
  7. chip igmo

chip igmo TS Member Posts: 51

it's a new stable release now? [37.0.2062.94 unknown-m (64-bit)]
  8. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 7,025   +612

Yes, it's been released to the stable channel now so it should be production ready. With 64-bit desktops being the norm for quite some time I would assume it will become the default Chrome browser for Windows soon.
  9. Cycloid Torus

Cycloid Torus TS Evangelist Posts: 1,530   +288

And it is - definitely - faster.
  10. LOL!!
  11. I just updated Chrome to version 38.0.2125.24 but it still shows as dev. No matter, I still love it.
  12. dblues

dblues TS Rookie

2 thumbs up for 38.0.2125.24(y)(y)
  13. Lol chrome 64 bit is the first program I have seen that installs under Program Files (x86)
  14. bea108

bea108 TS Enthusiast Posts: 30   +9

Wierd, EMET (Enhanced Mitigation Toolkit) won't let it install. It says" EMET detected caller mitigation" Then the message "Whoa Google Chrome has crashed, relaunch?" restrying gets the same message. I had earlier had the 64 bit beta installed and never had this problem.
  15. Ultraman1966

Ultraman1966 TS Enthusiast Posts: 85   +8

I'm surprised it has been fully launched, we're way past the mid point of 2014 and 64bit CPUs were launched about ten years ago...
  16. Nobina

Nobina TS Evangelist Posts: 806   +270

I just installed it and font rendering looks much worse actually, it's blurry, but readable.
  17. S_Brideau

S_Brideau TS Rookie Posts: 65

Because you can't upgrade from 32bit to 64bit just like that.
  18. Geforcepat

Geforcepat TS Booster Posts: 141   +15

Sounded nice to me..
  19. Jamesbrah

Jamesbrah TS Enthusiast Posts: 59   +11

Made half of the websites ugly as hell, including this one, with blurry text.

I'm sure it's fine if you don't use DPI scaling, but for those of you who do - beware that it's far from perfect.

Downgrading to 32bit crew checking in.
  20. Macgyver56

Macgyver56 TS Member Posts: 21

I wasn't happy with the new fonts either. Blurry, smaller, tougher to read. I tried a solution I found on the Chrome blog.

Go to chrome:flags . Look for Disable DirectWrite and click on Enable. Relaunch Chrome.

It solved the font problem for me. (running Windows 7 64-bit)
    hahahanoobs likes this.
  21. Nobina

Nobina TS Evangelist Posts: 806   +270

I did that too now it's fine.
  22. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 2,383   +105

I've been using the Chrome 64-bit DEV for months now no issues with it.. I had to switch from chrome*32 was awful. Palmoon 64-bit was okay but Chrome is the one I use.