Google crafts Open Automotive Alliance to bring the Android ecosystem in-car

By Shawn Knight
Jan 6, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Google and chip maker Nvidia are partnering with a number of automakers to create a new group called the Open Automotive Alliance. The newfound partners will focus on bringing the Android ecosystem to in-car entertainment systems in a way that’s...

Read more
  2. davislane1

davislane1 TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,190   +445

As much as I like high-end cars, this infotainment nonsense is the biggest reason I'd choose to pass on one. TVs & apps in cars was a cool gimmick 10-15 years ago. Now, it's just another distraction to pull your attention away from the road.

"If you’re thinking an Android in-car entertainment system sounds like yet another distraction for those behind the wheel, think again. The Alliance has been in contact with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) to make sure new systems are safe for in-case use."

They can write regulation after regulation and code safety feature after safety feature into the final product, it's not going to stop the seemingly inexhaustible supply of drivers with ADHD from doing what it is that they do. Irresponsibility cannot be developed away.
    m4a4 likes this.
  3. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,018   +683

While I agree with you, if they do it right it might help ease the boredom of driving a little. I don't even want to know how much of our lives are wasted commuting. Apps that could read you relevant news or give you traffic updates could be pretty cool.
  4. davislane1

davislane1 TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,190   +445

@MilwaukeeMike Excellent points. The silver lining for me is that clunky info and nav systems will be much more functional and user friendly if their development is put in the hands of tech companies -- a change I welcome.
  5. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,815   +702

Well if that's the future, make mine Android/Windows please. I remember reading somewhere Microsoft is also trying to muscle in on the action. Makes sense.
  6. Forg0t2

Forg0t2 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 102   +11

In the Netherlands they are busy with autonomous driving. They anticipate to implement this in 2020 and are already taking the tests onto the open road. So in the near future it will not matter how much distraction you have because for the bigger part of the trip the car will be driving you instead of the other way around. I don't know anything about implementations of autonomous vehicles in the U.S. because I'm not familiar with the laws of the U.S. but for the European market this will become yet another gadget that will be accepted by the consumer.
  7. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 941   +82

I can't wait to see what comes of this. While that interior pictured on the Audi looks like, I would have expected that there be fewer buttons and knobs, but I can't help but think that the interior is looking complex.
  8. benken2202001

benken2202001 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 154   +16

The inclusion of Google will keep the price down (as opposed to Apple, Microsoft). This is lucrative for the economical car manufacturers who want a great selling point (ford, nissan, honda, toyota).

I'm surprised actually that they don't have these things already. OnStar already provides wi-fi in vehicles. Why not just stick your tablet to the dash? Its got all your apps/music/internet needs.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.