Google crafts Open Automotive Alliance to bring the Android ecosystem in-car

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Google and chip maker Nvidia are partnering with a number of automakers to create a new group called the Open Automotive Alliance. The newfound partners will focus on bringing the Android ecosystem to in-car entertainment systems in a way that’s tailored for vehicles.

Alliance members include Google, Nvidia, Audi, GM, Honda and Hyundai according to a press release on the matter. More automakers are expected to be added over time but the immediate focus is to create Android features that will allow developers to create “car modes” for their apps.

google android-based open automotive alliance audi honda android nvidia hyundai open automotive alliance gm

If you’re thinking an Android in-car entertainment system sounds like yet another distraction for those behind the wheel, think again. The Alliance has been in contact with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) to make sure new systems are safe for in-case use.

The Alliance is Google’s answer to a similar initiative in the pipeline from Apple. Back at the Worldwide Developers Conference last June, Apple introduced a program called iOS in the Car that will allow iOS devices to work seamlessly with manufacturers’ built-in entertainment systems. Those that have shown interest in the program include Acura, BMW, Chevrolet, Ford, Honda, Jaguar, Nissan and Toyota, just to name a few.

The first vehicles with integrated Android systems are expected by the end of the year. Similarly, we can expect to see iOS in the Car show up sometime in 2014 as well.

Permalink to story.

As much as I like high-end cars, this infotainment nonsense is the biggest reason I'd choose to pass on one. TVs & apps in cars was a cool gimmick 10-15 years ago. Now, it's just another distraction to pull your attention away from the road.

"If you’re thinking an Android in-car entertainment system sounds like yet another distraction for those behind the wheel, think again. The Alliance has been in contact with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) to make sure new systems are safe for in-case use."

They can write regulation after regulation and code safety feature after safety feature into the final product, it's not going to stop the seemingly inexhaustible supply of drivers with ADHD from doing what it is that they do. Irresponsibility cannot be developed away.

They can write regulation after regulation and code safety feature after safety feature into the final product, it's not going to stop the seemingly inexhaustible supply of drivers with ADHD from doing what it is that they do. Irresponsibility cannot be developed away.

While I agree with you, if they do it right it might help ease the boredom of driving a little. I don't even want to know how much of our lives are wasted commuting. Apps that could read you relevant news or give you traffic updates could be pretty cool.

@MilwaukeeMike Excellent points. The silver lining for me is that clunky info and nav systems will be much more functional and user friendly if their development is put in the hands of tech companies -- a change I welcome.

Well if that's the future, make mine Android/Windows please. I remember reading somewhere Microsoft is also trying to muscle in on the action. Makes sense.

As much as I like high-end cars, this infotainment nonsense is the biggest reason I'd choose to pass on one. TVs & apps in cars was a cool gimmick 10-15 years ago. Now, it's just another distraction to pull your attention away from the road.

"If you’re thinking an Android in-car entertainment system sounds like yet another distraction for those behind the wheel, think again. The Alliance has been in contact with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) to make sure new systems are safe for in-case use."

In the Netherlands they are busy with autonomous driving. They anticipate to implement this in 2020 and are already taking the tests onto the open road. So in the near future it will not matter how much distraction you have because for the bigger part of the trip the car will be driving you instead of the other way around. I don't know anything about implementations of autonomous vehicles in the U.S. because I'm not familiar with the laws of the U.S. but for the European market this will become yet another gadget that will be accepted by the consumer.

I can't wait to see what comes of this. While that interior pictured on the Audi looks like, I would have expected that there be fewer buttons and knobs, but I can't help but think that the interior is looking complex.

The inclusion of Google will keep the price down (as opposed to Apple, Microsoft). This is lucrative for the economical car manufacturers who want a great selling point (ford, nissan, honda, toyota).

I'm surprised actually that they don't have these things already. OnStar already provides wi-fi in vehicles. Why not just stick your tablet to the dash? Its got all your apps/music/internet needs.

Back